Viewer always shows "Demo", not actual WUs

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Seneca

Viewer always shows "Demo", not actual WUs

Post by Seneca »

Simple thing, I presume ...

I'm running FAH on a i7-2600k along with a NVIDIA RTX 2080 super. It folds ... but when I try the viewer, I always get shown a DEMO mode, not and real folding representation.

Is this a bug, or is it an expected behaviour ?
Will I ever get shown an actual folded protein ?

Greetings

Seneca
0=0
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: Viewer always shows "Demo", not actual WUs

Post by toTOW »

Are you still using the v7.5.1 client ?

This issue should be fixed in the latest one (7.6.13) ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

This is a known bug with version 7.5.1 of the folding client, especially on Windows. On Linux and OS X the viewer will work on CPU WUs using Core_A7. From what I understand, the current 7.6.13 version of the client fixes some of this.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Seneca

Post by Seneca »

Thanks, pals !

Updating was the remedy for that problem.

By the way: Is there any "A new FAH client is available" reminder mechanism implemented ?
If not: I'd give that idea a top priority rating.

Greetings and thanks again ...

Seneca
0=0
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

It has been requested: https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-issues/issues/1404

Unlike common software which have frequent releases in a year, historically, a new release is every few years. In most cases, there's no need to upgrade as FahCore that does the folding can handle various versions of the client. In some rare cases, a new version of the client is required for a new version of the FahCore in which case, information is posted on the Blog, in the Forum and it takes several months to make the transition so virtually all active donors can update accordingly.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
bruce

Post by bruce »

As has been said, upgrading to a new version of the client is RARELY essential. You don't get a performance upgrade, just some misc. bug fixes (like your Viewer fix, which is nice, of course, but not essential since it has nothing to do with performance. If you want to show it off to a visiting faminly member, they' be equally impressed if it's a demo protein or if it's the one you happen to be working on.
Seneca

Post by Seneca »

Sure, but there are other fixes I've seen .... i.e. the link to the project description now works correct (was non-functional before)

Nontheless, since I'm not such a big forum visitor, I'd still appreciate at least some update reminder.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Would it be possible to send such FahClient update info by email to all forum members?
bruce

Post by bruce »

FAH does not maintain a list of email addresses. Yes, this site requires you to provide one when you register and I can find them one-at-a-time, but I'l have to figure out if there's a way to extract a full list. Of course if we do decide to do something like that, we'll have to figure out how to allow people to opt-out. ... and certainly there are a lot of people who installed the client but never registered here.

Sounds lik a lot of work for very little gain.

How about adding a suggestion to https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-issues
Seneca

Post by Seneca »

OK - I've added that to the suggestions/issues list ...

https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-issues/issues/1519

As a person who's programming, I think there's not much work to spend for a update reminder in the FAH client .... just the actual version number code requestable on some (already existing ...) web server, the same thing coded into the FAH client, some code to request the actual number (kind of a 3-liner) and an if-statement to call a message box. Anyone who knows the client well enough to find the place where to put it in, would barely need half a day for implementation, I presume ...
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Seneca wrote:...As a person who's programming, I think there's not much work to spend for a update reminder in the FAH client .... just the actual version number code requestable on some (already existing ...) web server, the same thing coded into the FAH client, some code to request the actual number (kind of a 3-liner) and an if-statement to call a message box. Anyone who knows the client well enough to find the place where to put it in, would barely need half a day for implementation, I presume ...
It might be half a day for implementation but historically, the development prioritizes scientific "band-for-bucks" thus, there are lots of other enhancements that can deliver more science than this. Considering that FahCores are rarely updated that frequently and most of the times, new versions of FahCore are supported by the existing client, this has been low on the list.

However, with the recent awareness of F@H on a global scale, let's see what happens since F@H is seeking to tap into the F@H Community for volunteers to help out in various aspects of the project. Let's wait and see what happens :)
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
bruce

Post by bruce »

I'd think that the client, itself could insert a message into the beginning of the log like NOTE: This is client "Vx.x.x and V y.y.y has been released." Of course people would have to look at the log file since FAHClient doesn't send any output to either GUI program, FAHControl or WebControl.
Seneca

Post by Seneca »

I'd think that this is a task for the control ... it would just check th on startup (and cyclic for anyone who runs his machine(s) 24/7/365) and pops up a bubble message or sth. similar if an update is available.

If I have the option to decline it when prefer, I'd even like to have some fully-magical-autoupdater mechanism.
bruce

Post by bruce »

New clients often add features that you might want to configure so it doesn't make sense to auto-update. The old version keeps working.

Science improvements happen in FAHCore_xx updates and you don't need to (and can't) configure them, so they do happen automatically.