Progress of projects

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

TuXHunT3R

Progress of projects

Post by TuXHunT3R »

Hi guys

Is there a posibility to monitor the progress of a project? In my understanding, a project has a total number of workunits and after all workunits are done, the scientist have the results of this project and can use these results to do their research. Is there a way to see the progress of a project, like the total number of workunits, the number of finished workunits and the number of workunits left from this project?

Thanks
Jonazz

Re: Progress of projects

Post by Jonazz »

This doesn't exist, although I like the idea!
Knish

Post by Knish »

yeah, sounds really interesting! although it sounds like a lot of "busy work" that doesn't move science forward for the researches

i wonder, does anyone know how the PRCG numbering progresses? I assume right to left, like normal counting numbers, ie P123 Rx Cy Gz0...zn when all the Gen's are finished, it ticks over to P123 Rx Cy+1 Gz0
bruce

Post by bruce »

A project number is assigned to each research project. Runs and Clones denote variations in the starting conditions. Successive Gens are continuations of a single trajectory from the specified starting point.

If there are, say, 100 Gens of P,R,C then your WU represeents 1% of the overall trajectory and other people worked on the same trajectory, helping to lengthen it.

* Some projects need lots of starting points to span the entire N-dimensional space. (See the second figure for MSMs on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home)

* Most projects benefit from longer trajectories.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Here's the definition of PRCG:
PRCG - Project Run Clone Gen, is used to identify a WU that is assigned to you.
Project: Biological system.
Run: Different starting configuration (positions) of atoms.
Clone: Different starting velocities of atoms (each Run can have multiple Clones with different starting velocities).
Gen: Time sequence (so Clone 1, Gen 2 is sent after Clone 1, Gen 1 is received and processed).

Based on that, we don't know how long it takes for the protein to fold to it's final state (or the several interim states that it may have). Thus, we can't say how many WUs are needed to begin with. The researchers regularly check the various Runs and Clones to see how many nanoseconds have been generated and see what data has been generated so far.

Some Projects can generate meaningful and sufficient data in months while others can take years... that's the nature of molecular simulation.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
TuXHunT3R

Post by TuXHunT3R »

So, the researchers don't know, how much computing work has to be done in the first place, so they let the donors generate as much data as possible to get even more precise results over time. Thanks for the explanation
OldMax

Post by OldMax »

OK, I understand that the total number of workunits required to complete a project is unpredictable, making it impossible to track progress to the end target until you've got there. Still, it would be interesting to show the number of WUs completed for each project. It would help give a sense of progress of the collective community effort, not just one's own.
Last edited by OldMax on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hopfgeist
Hardware configuration: Dell T420, 2x Xeon E5-2470 v2, NetBSD 10, SunFire X2270 M2, 2x Xeon X5675, NetBSD 9; various other Linux/NetBSD PCs, Macs and virtual servers.

Post by Hopfgeist »

OldMax wrote:So I understand that the total number of workunits required to complete a project is unpredictable, making it impossible to track progress to the end target until you've got there. Still, it would be interesting to show the number of WUs completed for each project. It would help give a sense of progress of the collective community effort, not just one's own.
Or the number microseconds simulated so far ...

Now we have at least one data point for the duration of one project, and that was 100 ms of total simulated time, corresponding to several tens of millions of work units. I still expect others to be different by orders of magnitude, i. e. some might produce meaningful result from just 10 microseconds of simulated time, while others might conceivably require a whole second. Which is just about feasible.

Cheers,
HG
Dell PowerEdge T420: 2x Xeon E5-2470 v2
bruce

Post by bruce »

There's a 3rd party app being developed that may give you the information you're looking for. Unfortunately, running it is EXPENSIVE in terms of server resources so it's use either needs to be prohibited or it has to be deeply integrated with the stats server.