No WU available: why are so many people still folding?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

CaptainHalon

No WU available: why are so many people still folding?

Post by CaptainHalon »

Covid caused a huge increase in people doing folding@home, which is cool. But I don't understand why they're still going. Shouldn't they have given up by now? People generally give up on new things after a short time. The level of dedication I'm seeing confuses me.

Damnit, new people. Give up like you're supposed to.
kiore

Re: No WU available: why are so many people still folding?

Post by kiore »

Many have given up, but it seems quite a few have decided to stick with it, I am also surpised (and pleased) at how many are staying
i7 7800x RTX 3070 OS= win10. AMD 3700x RTX 2080ti OS= win10 .

Team page: http://www.rationalskepticism.org
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

In late Feburary F@H had about 14,000 volunteers.

By early April, 175,000.

Now, in late June 80,000 volunteers

So CaptainHalon, over half have quit.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com ... ary.php?s=

Then click Active Users, Weekly

(Then, if you click Points, Weekly you see that even while volunteers were going down, Points Per Week were still rising until recently)
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

No WU available
Don't know what you are talking about. There is no WU shortage anymore. Except a rare server issue occurs again.

In summer time it is expected that many users shutdown their PC because of heat and extra power cost for air condition.

I hope in autumn we get to 100k users again when summer heat is over and 2nd corona wave strikes
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

I am aware that there might be some GPU WU shortages but additional work is in the pipelines so you will see more GPU Projects soon :)
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
NathanJanssens

Post by NathanJanssens »

CaptainHalon wrote:Covid caused a huge increase in people doing folding@home, which is cool. But I don't understand why they're still going. Shouldn't they have given up by now? People generally give up on new things after a short time. The level of dedication I'm seeing confuses me.

I know for myself that I actually thought I had stopped doing it. But as F@H starts up with Windows, apparently I had been folding for weeks and I hadn't even noticed. Sorry! :D
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

NathanJanssens You are allowed to fold by accident, the help toward a treatment still counts!
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
WTS

Post by WTS »

NathanJanssens wrote:
CaptainHalon wrote:Covid caused a huge increase in people doing folding@home, which is cool. But I don't understand why they're still going. Shouldn't they have given up by now? People generally give up on new things after a short time. The level of dedication I'm seeing confuses me.

I know for myself that I actually thought I had stopped doing it. But as F@H starts up with Windows, apparently I had been folding for weeks and I hadn't even noticed. Sorry! :D
In the Forum, I sometimes refer to the Pandemic as "The Coronavirus Wars". And it sort of is a war, between us and a very determined enemy. So far it's put about 120,000 Americans in their graves, and far, far more humans the world over in their graves. F@H gives almost every person on Earth a chance to enlist in this war. For people to enlist, and continue to fight over the long haul, you need several things. First, "medals", which our point system provides.
Second, weapons that actually work, which is what the client program does. When our "troops" hit glitches with the "weapon", and it can't be easily or quickly resolved, they become far more likely to quit the fight. Finally, our "troops" need victories to show them the fight is being won. That's the hardest part. It'll be a long time to show how the work resulted in a vaccine and/or safe, effective treatment. It'll also be a long time to come to show advances in other areas and illness.
I don't think there's much else we can do.
Reality is what you stumble over when you walk around with your eyes closed.
Cruddson001

Post by Cruddson001 »

foldy wrote:
No WU available
Don't know what you are talking about. There is no WU shortage anymore. Except a rare server issue occurs again.

In summer time it is expected that many users shutdown their PC because of heat and extra power cost for air condition.

I hope in autumn we get to 100k users again when summer heat is over and 2nd corona wave strikes
Hi, I shut down folding on my PC because it seemed to have stopped working (and I was having heat issues.)

When I heard the news there might be a treatment (dexamethasone) I wanted to start it again. So I re installed the client.

But it says "Client: local | Connecting | Inactive" in the middle near the top in the advanced control panel.

Please, is there a WU shortage?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

If it says Inactive that is a different issue. That means that FAHControl is not connecting to a background FAHClient process. The default on installation is to have that start at PC startup time, if that is unchecked you need to start it manually using the shortcut.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3