Team User Interface suggestion

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

PandemicShouldStop

Team User Interface suggestion

Post by PandemicShouldStop »

I think that the owner of a team should be able to see general info of the team members' current work units. I also think that for both teams and individuals you should be able to see completed work units along with the summary if previously provided.
PandemicShouldStop

Re: Team User Interface suggestion

Just to add, I know the interface probably isn't a huge priority compared to keeping up with work units and other stuff, but I just think it'd be nice
bruce

Post by bruce »

We used to have some features like that but they were intentionally disabled. The database contains every WU that anybody has ever worked on. It's a huge database and it takes a lot of computer resoruces, just to store the incoming credits. Gathering specific data on what WUs each team member has worked would add enough searches that we wouldn't be able to keep track of everybody's points.

It's not the interface that's the problem, it's the lack of computer resources that would be required to do the searches.
PandemicShouldStop

bruce wrote:We used to have some features like that but they were intentionally disabled. The database contains every WU that anybody has ever worked on. It's a huge database and it takes a lot of computer resoruces, just to store the incoming credits. Gathering specific data on what WUs each team member has worked would add enough searches that we wouldn't be able to keep track of everybody's points.

It's not the interface that's the problem, it's the lack of computer resources that would be required to do the searches.
well that sucks, maybe it could just be like a control panel of what your team is doing, again not sure if that would take any less resources, I just think it'd be cool to be able to see and also maybe have the descriptions so you could see if any in progress units relate to each other
bruce

Post by bruce »

Scripts put a lot more load on the database server than manually entering the transaction. That's one way they're using to discourage over-use of the queries.