force only small work unit

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: force only small work unit

Post by bruce »

I agree with your suggestion, but comparing it to seti makes no sense.

Both the timeout and the deadline have important functions in FAH and the Bonus points stresses prompt completion. BOINC runs lots of projects where prompt completion is not important (not all of their projects). It was originally designed to run SETI and completing the analysis of any seti WU before any other one from a different part of the sky or a different part of the spectrum is/was meaningless.

At one time, BOINC was evaluated for compatibility with FAH and it was disqualified based on their casual treatment of deadlines.
This may have changed since then but the history emphases the importance of your enhancement request.
Der_mit_dem_Hund

Re: force only small work unit

Post by Der_mit_dem_Hund »

If it would make any change to the further development of FAH, I supported the wish of my predecessors FAMAS, sptn., vince_lewis, normcf et al. in this thread (and others on this topic):

My desktop computer runs a 'vintage' AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 445 Processor (and too weak an nVidia GPU) with Fedora 34. I use it some time during the week, not daily, though, and definitively not 24/7. I've been recently assigned only WUs of project 16955. So I have not succeeded in completing them.

To let my machine run longer perverts the idea of sharing computing power which was available but unused. To run my computer only for FAH to gain folding credits would deepen my CO2 footprint and waste energy (as compare to more modern machines).

I have added the

Code: Select all

max-packet-size
option to my FAH Client and see what happens.

However, I would be very grateful if either FAH would allow to select WUs by estimated calculation time or if FAH 'artificially learnt' from my client's former statistics how likely it was that I could finish a WU in time and assign me an appropriate one.