how to enable system tray control (in Windows)

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

russell_heater

how to enable system tray control (in Windows)

Post by russell_heater »

Hi

How do I cause the control icon to appear in my system tray, if FAH is already running before I log in?

After launching FAHclient manually for a few days, I was dismayed to see that the system tray icon fails to appear if I launch FAHclient via scheduled task on system start.

You might ask: "Why are you not running it as a service, if you want it to start on system start?"
To which I'd answer: Because I'm running it as a non-admin user, and multiple things are easier this way (or please tell me if otherwise).

------

BTW, here's the contents of the batch file my Scheduled Task runs:

Code: Select all

rem hack around Windows quirk
rem https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/system-management-components/scheduled-tasks-reference-incorrect-user-profile
timeout 60

set dir=%userprofile%\Desktop\FAH
rem just in case
mkdir "%dir%"
cd "%dir%"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\FAHClient.exe" --user=russell_heater --team=0 --gpu=true --smp=true
And here's the contents of the batch file I use to launch FAHControl:

Code: Select all

set dir=%userprofile%\Desktop\FAH
start "FAH" /d %dir% "C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\FAHControl.exe"
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: how to enable system tray control (in Windows)

Post by foldy »

I start FAHclient from Windows Startup folder shell:startup after user login. Then tray icon is shown.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum russell_heater,

I assume that your using a passkey which is recommended for points and security reasons: https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/passkey/

BTW, when it comes to running the client as a service, it won't work since you're also using the GPU to fold. Running as a service only works if it is CPU only.

The next release of the client will be using a different set of folders to ensure that it can work with multiple user accounts without issues. There's no ETA for that.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
russell_heater

Post by russell_heater »

Ah, @pantherx, thanks for the info about next release. Gtk. @foldy , yes, starting on logon also worked for me, but I didn't want to have to enable auto-logon on boot, because I'm not the only user of this machine.
Zelphium

Post by Zelphium »

Just wanted to let people know for info. I just ran the Windows 10 Debloater script. I disabled just the telemetery/tasks, onedrive and cortana. I left the main bulk of the 'bloat' in place. However, now I don't get the system tray icon for FAH. It still seems to be running and I can get to the web interface.

So, if anyone can't get to the system tray icon and has run the debloater script, I would suggest that that is the/a cause.