Can I determine actual number of cores in use?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RBob

Can I determine actual number of cores in use?

Post by RBob »

I'd like to be able to see how many cores/cpus are being used by a task without having to bring up the control program and browsing through the log.

Poking through the list of available commands, I can find "CPUS" which returns the number set in the config (-1 in the current case) and "POWER" which says "LIGHT" "MEDIUM" or "FULL" which represent how many CPUs would be available to a task, not the number the task will actually use (on mine right now, MEDIUM is 5, but the task is using 4).

I tried "OPTIONS" , "OPTIONS -a" and "OPTIONS *" and didn't find anything that looked like what I was looking for.

Is that info in there anywhere?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Can I determine actual number of cores in use?

Post by Joe_H »

The only way I know of is by checking the log, it will show two different ways. The first reflects that once a WU is downloaded at a set number of threads, that will be the maximum number it will use during its run. An increase in the client will only affect the next WU. This will show in the log with a line like this:

Code: Select all

20:55:04:WARNING:WU00:FS00:AS lowered CPUs from 5 to 4
The second is in the log after the WU has started:

Code: Select all

20:55:04:WU00:FS00:0xa7:Calling: mdrun -s frame0.tpr -o frame0.trr -cpi state.cpt -cpt 15 -nt 4
The "-nt 4" is the number of CPU threads being used.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Knish

Re: Can I determine actual number of cores in use?

Post by Knish »

on linux, "top" will show a percentage for CPU for fahcore22 and fahcore_a7 or a8. 200% will mean 2 cores, 500% for 5 cores, etc