I obtain Covid Folding although I have cancer in preferred.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

MFicek
Hardware configuration: CPU: Intel i5 3210m
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 630m
RAM: 8GB DDR3
SSD: Crucial MX250 250 GB

I obtain Covid Folding although I have cancer in preferred.

Post by MFicek »

Hi,

2 days ago I observed that after finishing last cancer WU, the new one I obtained is folding against Covid although I had Cancer in Setting chosen. I decided to end it because it had already about 20% when I observed it.
Today that WU finished and the new one is again against covid (project 14813), although I had cancer in Settings. I changed from Cancer to Alzheimer but nothing changed.

What can I do to fold against Cancer, or practically, anything which is not Covid?
In my opinion world's reaction against covid is overpowered (I'm not happy that some people are dying because of it, but cancer surely kills more people, also Malaria but poor African countries will not be able to afford malaria vaccines so malaria vaccine will never appear because big corporations are doing them for money, not to help people). Practically, lack of physical activity and depression due to covid lockdown probably killed/will kill comparable amount of people like covid itself. I prefer to fold against any other disease than covid. Sorry if it is cruel for any of You.
gunnarre

Re: I obtain Covid Folding although I have cancer in preferr

Post by gunnarre »

The preferred setting is just a preference. So if there are no cancer projects available for your machine at the moment, you will get the next highest prioritized project rather than idling your machine.

Even people who have set their preference to Covid-19 don't always get Covid-19 work units - it depends if work units are available, and what kind of CPU or GPU you have.

If you're against research on Covid-19, I suggest you turn your distributed computing interest to something like Einstein@Home, because when you're manually dropping Folding@Home work units then you're taxing the work servers and wasting electricity for no good reason.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
MFicek

Post by MFicek »

I'm not against covid research. I'm just more into other medical reseatch (e. g. cancer) than covid.
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

I see. You might try joining World Community Grid. They have checkboxes for which projects you want to opt in to, rather than assigning a different project if your preferred project isn't available: https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/viewMyProjects.do:
As their website says, this approach means that you risk your computer going idle if no work is available for your chosen projects.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

... and there are researchers within the FaH Consortium working on non covid iirc but at the moment it appears there are few non covid projects running - the researchers may well be analysing folding data, writing up papers or hopefully preparing new projects
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

The beauty of FAH is that the project is tackling many different diseases and challenges in protein folding.
Burlingtonian
Hardware configuration: 2 iMacs and 1 dedicated Windows 10 Pro rig with 1 RTX 2070 Super and 1 RTX 2060 KO

Post by Burlingtonian »

MFicek wrote:I'm not against covid research. I'm just more into other medical reseatch (e. g. cancer) than covid.
As noted in the FAH Blog, "What is more prevalent is there are a whole class of diseases that were thought not to be related to one another, such as Mad Cow, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, types of cancer and ALS, that are actually related to protein misfolding".

Covid-19 has been added to the list but It is entirely possible that unlocking the science of protein folding for any one disease may yield corresponding breakthroughs for other diseases since protein misfolding appears to be a common denominator.
MFicek

Post by MFicek »

Ok, I keep folding that covid 18413 project and further also. Thanks for writing motivating things there.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Your choice of Cancer is certainly a valid one, but your statement that it kills more people that COVID is false. Heart Disease kills more people than cancer and at the present time, COVID is killing more people than heart disease or traffic accidents or cancer. Once the world is vaccinated and we achieve herd immunity, this will change, of course, but statistics do not support your statement.

The preference for Cancer works and there are a few cancer projects still active, but at the present time very few of our researchers are adding new cancer projects ... they're mostly adding research projects for the Corona Virus.
Burlingtonian
Hardware configuration: 2 iMacs and 1 dedicated Windows 10 Pro rig with 1 RTX 2070 Super and 1 RTX 2060 KO

Post by Burlingtonian »

MFicek wrote:Ok, I keep folding that covid 18413 project and further also. Thanks for writing motivating things there.
"It takes a village". Happy folding!
JohnChodera
Pande Group Member

Post by JohnChodera »

@MFicek: We hear you, and we primarily use Folding@home to work on cancer! You can check out more of what we do here: http://choderalab.org

Much of the lab has been pitching in on our COVID work to develop a new small molecule therapy with the COVID Moonshot (http://postera.ai/covid), but we should have new projects starting soon that address the prediction of how mutations we see in individual patient tumors can sensitize the tumor to different kinase inhibitors that are either approved drugs or in clinical trials. We'll hopefully get those going before the end of the year if you're willing to stick with us! The results of these calculations will help us improve our pipelines for using computational tools to both predict how to pair therapies with individual cancer patients and how to design better inhibitors that overcome or suppress resistance, and thus enable the therapies to keep people in remission for longer periods of time---or hopefully even eliminate the cancer completely!

~ john Chodera // MSKCC

~ John Chodera // MSKCC
MFicek

Post by MFicek »

JohnChodera wrote:@MFicek: We hear you, and we primarily use Folding@home to work on cancer! You can check out more of what we do here: http://choderalab.org

Much of the lab has been pitching in on our COVID work to develop a new small molecule therapy with the COVID Moonshot (http://postera.ai/covid), but we should have new projects starting soon that address the prediction of how mutations we see in individual patient tumors can sensitize the tumor to different kinase inhibitors that are either approved drugs or in clinical trials. We'll hopefully get those going before the end of the year if you're willing to stick with us! The results of these calculations will help us improve our pipelines for using computational tools to both predict how to pair therapies with individual cancer patients and how to design better inhibitors that overcome or suppress resistance, and thus enable the therapies to keep people in remission for longer periods of time---or hopefully even eliminate the cancer completely!

~ john Chodera // MSKCC

~ John Chodera // MSKCC
This is something I needed to read (although I don't understand too much as I am mathematician). Thank You very much for Your work. If You have some donate system like Patreon or Buy me a Coffee, PM me and I will support Your work.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

MFicek wrote:
JohnChodera wrote:@MFicek: We hear you, and we primarily use Folding@home to work on cancer! You can check out more of what we do here: http://choderalab.org

~ john Chodera // MSKCC

~ John Chodera // MSKCC
This is something I needed to read (although I don't understand too much as I am mathematician). Thank You very much for Your work. If You have some donate system like Patreon or Buy me a Coffee, PM me and I will support Your work.
Check out the FAH store! https://teespring.com/stores/foldingathome
MFicek

Post by MFicek »

Jonazz wrote:
MFicek wrote:

~ john Chodera // MSKCC

~ John Chodera // MSKCC
Check out the FAH store! https://teespring.com/stores/foldingathome
Thanks, but I would like to send You some money and obtain nothing for that. I have enough T-Shirts, I don't want to use a few thousands of litrs of water to produce next one and fuel for delivery.
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)