One system not reporting to stats despite still being active

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RamosXN40

One system not reporting to stats despite still being active

Post by RamosXN40 »

Hello, I have a slight issue in trying to understand how to correct. One of my computers has been cranking away WU’s since February, but apparently it’s stopped reporting in May. I know it is still crunching away, and submitting valid WU’s as far as I can tell. The other 4 computers are doing just fine, even my new Apple M1 has caught joined the bandwagon no problem. I haven’t changed computer names or team number this entire time.

Team: 38101, and the computer is labeled MackBrickPro (I didn’t notice the K until many months later lol)

I appreciate anyone’s assistance and advise in the matter. Thank you!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: One system not reporting to stats despite still being ac

Post by Joe_H »

Could you explain what leads you to believe MackBrickPro stopped reporting WUs? Looking that up shows a 100% return rate, and the last WU was returned today. So far 394 WUs have been returned by that computer.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
RamosXN40

Post by RamosXN40 »

Well conveniently the system just made a liar of me. Up until just after I posted this, the stats page kept reporting the last WU was submitted on 2020-05-17. Alas... thanks for the help though
dan39johnson

Post by dan39johnson »

Similar problem here. After updating from 7.6.13 to 7.6.21, points and wus have not been updating. I have two systems, an Asus G75 laptop and a G74 laptop that I've had running fah since march (I've had both machines running fah for years previously, but not in the last year, until I started again in March).

I updated to 7.6.21 from 7.6.13 on 12-2-20. Since that time multiple wus have been completing daily but no points have been accruing. Before the update both machines were accruing about 11,000 ppd. I've checked the logs of both and found that each is getting "FINISHED_UNIT", uploading, getting "Server responded WORK_ACK (400), Final credit estimate, 3140.00 points" etc.

Using the fah WU Status page, it says the database has been updated and the points credited to me. But neither the donor nor team stats pages has shown any points or wus added since 12-2-20.

One machine is 100037 (team 211675), the other is 293862529 (team 211675).

I could not find any instructions on how to simply update fah, so I did an uninstall and reinstall, saving the data. I noticed the new version did not pick up the wus that were in progress. After a few hours of searching and reading, I found a tangentially related posting "Failed reinstall....It will not start at all", which points out the latest update changes where the data files are located to:
7.6.21: "C:\ProgramData\FAHClient\work"
whereas 7.6.13 data is located in C:\Users\..\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient

I'm a C++ programmer of 20+ years, and noticed that in the old directories 1 file was being used by the new version, and the corresponding file was not being used in the new directories. Not finding any guidance here in the forum after much searching and reading, I shut it down, copied that one file from old directory to new, crossed my fingers, and restarted. That worked, picking up the wus that were in progress before the reinstall. All seemed well.

I noticed the next day that points and wus were not accruing. Again searching, found comments in posting that basically said "give it a few days, there have been some issues, and it will likely be caught and fixed." I did a reinstall again, but that didn't change anything.

Both machines are behaving the same, and I don't see a problem on this end.

Is there an issue with a reinstalled (new serial number) copy not being connected with the names I gave the machines? I gave them the same donor and team IDs. Or a confusion in a config file?

Or is there a stats server issue, or ?

Thanks for your help in advance.
gs60

Post by gs60 »

One thing to check is go to https://apps.foldingathome.org/cpu and enter your username and see what the last wu's for all your folding processes look like and that all the cpuid's are accounted for and are current and the returned status is ok.
dan39johnson

Post by dan39johnson »

I haven't had a userid before yesterday.

The cpu page is only showing information for today. I enter the cpuid only, as that's all I've had.

WUs I verified with the wu page yesterday are not showing up. No other days are showing up for any of the machines I monitor, even two that have been reporting consistent progress thru today.

The two machines not reporting in the last 13 days have accumulated points of 760,000 and 990,000 points in the last 90 days, as reflected by donor stats page. (I have a log of a daily status update)

Is the lack of a userid causing the cpu page to misreport?
gs60

Post by gs60 »

I think without a username, it goes under "anonymous" "You can also choose not to have a username and just donate your CPU time anonymously (user name = anonymous)." All is still there, just in a big pool. So if you do want to track your donations, I would use a username and passkey.
dan39johnson

Post by dan39johnson »

Both machines are assigned to a team, # 211675; they are not under team "anonymous". Is there a confusion between username and team name? I've tried "teamname cpuname", and "teamname,cpuname", and even "teamname+cpuname" but they don't work either.

Then I tried the numerical ids for each, with space, comma, plus, as separators; they don't work either.

Help!

wus are being completed on this end, the log file says the points are being recorded and credited, yet the website doesn't report them.

What further websites can be checked? what does the database say about the last 90 days for each of the above machines?

Thanks in advance.

A username and passkey are not required to get points credited to a cpuid and a team. It's been this way forever, since I've been folding since 2012.

Remember this worked fine all this year, until an update to 7.6.21
dan39johnson

Post by dan39johnson »

where does one assign the cpuid to our userid? I find no place in the app, nor in the user profile...
dan39johnson

Post by dan39johnson »

I figured it out! fah has created a new cpu identity, '100037' and is logging the points diligently to that cpu identity. My machine's name is 'dan_asus', with numerical value of 100037 !

In the reinstall I keyed into the advanced control the value '100037'; I thought I remembered that was what to enter.

Now when I go to the team page, I see a new entry, for a computer named '100037' ! Checking the points that new computer has accumulated, it is about right for this machine's speed.

I did the same for the team id of '211675' at reinstall time. but no new team was created there.

When I look up the stats page from the advanced control by clicking on it's Identity Name field, it comes up with the page for actual name of 'dan_asus', not '100037'.

So that part of the mystery is solved.

Can those two cpu id's be merged?

(I presume the other machine is similar; I did them both the same way)
dan39johnson

Post by dan39johnson »

How may I outsmart myself today?

Let me count the ways...
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

Once WUs are uploaded to the servers the stats will always reflect the state at time of upload so unfortunately they cannot be merged .. The "inviolate" nature of the stats avoids various issues that have occurred in the past (or could occur) - not helpful in a case like yours but there are sound reasons for it being like this .. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
bruce

Post by bruce »

No. NOBODY will edit the database once the results are added.

Every time somebody creates a new installation, it is given a new "UserID" FAH has no way of tracking that the new userID was created by the addition of new hardware or by overwriting the old software on a kit that has been previously used by FAH.

The UserID keeps track of the software installation until well past when that software stops returning results -- but eventually it "times out"

Your Name is not unique and not related to the UserID. Your Passkey is unique.

Depending on where you look for your stats, the way Name = "john " is merged with Name = "JOHN" may vary. At one time, "JoHn" was also unique, but I think they've made the database case-insensitive. I'm not sure about extra spaces.