I think someone else's points are in my account

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

PFM
Hardware configuration: MacBook Air 2020 i5 Quad Core
Lenovo SL410 Intel P9600 Core 2 Duo

I think someone else's points are in my account

Post by PFM »

Looks like there is another member with the same name/id and their points are being displayed in my account. I have always used a passkey.
I dont know exactly but this seems to have happened few months ago in the last year. The points showing in the LinusTechTips_Team are not mine.
I dont know if the other member is still active or not, but how can this be resolved ? It would be nice to get the points back to the deserving member.
JimboPalmer

Re: I think someone else's points are in my account

Post by JimboPalmer »

[I am just a user like you.]

Points, once recorded, can never be re-assigned.

Our issue is that User Name is not unique, we can have as many people folding on one User name as they like. Passkey is unique, you should be the only source of points on your passkey.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Early on registering usernames was considered by the Folding@home project, but it was decided that would not be done. I don't know what the reasons given were. So usernames are not unique as JimboPalmer has mentioned.

Teams are registered, so a username and team number or name is unique.

Passkeys are also unique and tied to a specific email and username combination that was used to request the passkey. However passkeys can be used with any username once received. Each different username and passkey combination will require 10 WUs to qualify for the Quick Return Bonus

So stats lookups that combine username and team will get a unique result that is the points of a single person as long as another member of the same team has not used that username. Username and passkey lookups will also give a unique report on WUs completed and points credited. This second lookup is what is done by the Web Control when both are entered into the client.

One note about usernames, the checker on the F@h website is or was case sensitive. So It would consider PFM, pfm, and PFm to be unique. However at some point to simplify and speed up stats lookups they became case insensitive and also display in a case insensitive manner. I am not sure exactly when this changed, but it was within the last few years.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
PFM
Hardware configuration: MacBook Air 2020 i5 Quad Core
Lenovo SL410 Intel P9600 Core 2 Duo

Post by PFM »

I think the change to not-case-sensitive is the issue in my case. I do vaguely remember another id that was the same as mine but in a different case.
I have never folded for the LinusTechTips_Team that is showing in my stats.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

PFM wrote:I have never folded for the LinusTechTips_Team that is showing in my stats.
As stated, those points for LinusTechTips are not yours. They will only show up if you search only by username. If you search by username and team or username and passkey, those points from LTT will not show.

2 of the 5 results are for users and teams that date back before the stats database kept information on when a WU was last returned by a specific folder. That is many years in the past. Unless you were folding that long ago, those points are not yours either. The Google team entry has a last folded date in May 2019, and the LTT team entry last folded in July 2020.

If I am assuming correctly that you are on team Oracle, the 3rd party stats site EOC displays stats based on team and username - https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com ... =&u=818813

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3