COVID Accomplishments?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

sekramer10

COVID Accomplishments?

Post by sekramer10 »

I am interested to know, for the layman, what exactly has F@H accomplished as far as supporting efforts to control and prevent C19?

I see there is a drug being developed, but for some reason no one is funding it! Does this mean that all of the effort is worthless? I don't understand...

All of the work has to have some results, or people must have made some use of all the work performed, is there some sort of summary that can be said about the work that has been done with F@H with respect to C19, and very importantly, what practical use has been made of all of the work done ? Has it been used to develop the vaccines? What uses have been made of the work done by the world's largest super computer?

I want to promote F@H use but I need to communicate results and accomplishments to do so!
JimboPalmer

Re: COVID Accomplishments?

Post by JimboPalmer »

[I am just a user, like you, not an authority or spokesman]

Welcome to Folding@Home!

The researchers want their results used, so they make them freely available without attribution. This means anyone can design drugs based on our results. (it helps if you are a pharmaceutical company, but it is available to all)

It also means that potential users never need to admit they used our data, they can pretend they found their wonder drug by the sweat of their brow, not just reading the literature.
This is important in front of Congress, when they are justifying their high prices, so if F@H did not allow this it, would limit the use of the results.

In practice, this means the published results by the researchers are the end of the line for documented results.

https://foldingathome.org/papers-results/

Feel free to correct me with better explanations!
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends