Permission to re-use the "Even while you sleep" video

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

wuffy68
Hardware configuration: 1x nVidia 1080Ti, 1x nVidia 1070, 1x nVidia 1060, 1x nVidia 750Ti, AMD Radeon R7 M460

Permission to re-use the "Even while you sleep" video

Post by wuffy68 »

I noticed the Youtube Folding@home channel doesn't list the original "Even while you sleep" video (it was very effective). It's still located on the Pande Lab channel however. I was wondering if my team could re-use a copy of the video pulled down from Youtube - we would add a verbatim transcript of the text using our caption generating software, so Youtube's auto-translate algorithm could present the content in over 80 other languages. One of our team suggested this about four years ago in the comments section, but we never got a response. We would of course give all credit to Pande Lab and Folding@Home - the video would never be monetized. This would definitely help make Folding@home an even more global phenomenon than it already is. Thoughts?
1x nVidia 1070, 1x nVidia 1060 3g,
1x nVidia 970, 2x nVidia 960,
1x nVidia 555, 1x AMD R7, 2x AMD 295,
6x i5 CPU-only rigs
ajm

Re: Permission to re-use the "Even while you sleep" video

Post by ajm »

+1
But you should adapt the last slide, that is still sending people to a dead page (folding.stanford.edu)
https://youtu.be/7sJx9z1uB9k
ajm

Post by ajm »

I would also recommend to choose a more easy-to-use domain for this kind of first contact. I propose
fah.world
I took the liberty to buy it for a year (it was a promotional action, a few euros). If FAH is interested, they can of course use or get it for free (access to my panel/DNS Zone or regular transfer, ...).
wuffy68
Hardware configuration: 1x nVidia 1080Ti, 1x nVidia 1070, 1x nVidia 1060, 1x nVidia 750Ti, AMD Radeon R7 M460

Post by wuffy68 »

ajm wrote:+1
But you should adapt the last slide, that is still sending people to a dead page (folding.stanford.edu)
https://youtu.be/7sJx9z1uB9k
oh yea, it no longer re-directs to WUSTL's foldingathome.org like it used to ... I could put in an overlay that closely matches the text.
6x i5 CPU-only rigs
wuffy68

Post by wuffy68 »

ajm wrote:I would also recommend to choose a more easy-to-use domain for this kind of first contact. I propose
fah.world
I took the liberty to buy it for a year (it was a promotional action, a few euros). If FAH is interested, they can of course use or get it for free (access to my panel/DNS Zone or regular transfer, ...).
I think sticking with the official foldingathome.org would be prudent on those final frames ... especially if it's already re-directing folks from a folding team's YouTube channel, rather than an official FAH source - just wouldn't want to add a layer of potential exploitation (hate to say, I've seen too many smaller sites get hacked in my business - sometimes just for fun, other times not so fun).

Lets see if anyone responds at all...
Last edited by wuffy68 on Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6x i5 CPU-only rigs
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

I passed on the link to this topic, so you may get a response from someone at F@h on this.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Anton Thynell
Pande Group Member

Post by Anton Thynell »

Hello wuffy68,
Are willing to donate your work back to F@H?
If so I can give you the source file of the movie (Sony movie) and once we agree on a final version you hand it back to me to be uploaded on youtube with your credits.
+ eventually finding a spot for it on the website or social channels. Kindly shoot me an email anton@foldingathome.org
wuffy68

Post by wuffy68 »

Anton Thynell wrote:Hello wuffy68,
Are willing to donate your work back to F@H?
If so I can give you the source file of the movie (Sony movie) and once we agree on a final version you hand it back to me to be uploaded on youtube with your credits.
+ eventually finding a spot for it on the website or social channels. Kindly shoot me an email anton@foldingathome.org
Sure, that would work - the only thing I would fix is the link at the end of the video. I would then send it back and your team can upload it to Youtube WITH my timed .srt file as the video's transcript. That will ensure Youtube can auto-translate it. I'll get in touch with more details. I'm not sure if my editor will convert a Sony native video file - but we can try.
6x i5 CPU-only rigs
sptn.

Post by sptn. »

How good does the YT autotranslate work? Otherwise we could find some native speakers for other languages here to provide premium translations :D
wuffy68

Post by wuffy68 »

sptn. wrote:How good does the YT autotranslate work? Otherwise we could find some native speakers for other languages here to provide premium translations :D
The short answer, not too bad - at least to get a gist of the content. It works well for things I've done in my native language, as well as for Spanish (as long as one avoids slang, or lazy wording). We have a Chinese language native speaker (and others) that could verify the accuracy of Youtube's Mandarin translation once it's posted. As a first step, the beauty of Youtube's auto-translate is access to 80 different languages in a singular effort, which I doubt we could ever find, even in this forum. Plus the added work of even just posting the top 10 languages, and validating them, could be time-consuming for a first cut.

Perhaps as a second step, I could post the .txt version of the transcript here, and folks could add quality translations in their native languages - which FAH could add incrementally as they materialize. Youtube does allow individual languages to be added or subtracted without reposting the entire video.

IMO, taking the first step to create a generic english-language transcript that Youtube could auto-translate is crucial, and it would be the fastest way to get international eyes on the topics in the video without waiting for individual translations to arrive, drip by drip.
6x i5 CPU-only rigs
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

YouTube also has a community translation feature, so you could post just the English subtitles and let the users submit their suggested subtitles on YouTube itself, subject to your approval.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
iero

Post by iero »

I volunteer to translate any material needed from English to Greek. I know some French too, but I haven't used em in ages, so that's out of the question. :lol:
GPU only
RTX 3060 12GB Gigabyte Gaming OC [currently mining]
Folding since 14/02/2021
sptn.

Post by sptn. »

wuffy68 wrote:
sptn. wrote:How good does the YT autotranslate work? Otherwise we could find some native speakers for other languages here to provide premium translations :D
The short answer, not too bad - at least to get a gist of the content. It works well for things I've done in my native language, as well as for Spanish (as long as one avoids slang, or lazy wording). We have a Chinese language native speaker (and others) that could verify the accuracy of Youtube's Mandarin translation once it's posted. As a first step, the beauty of Youtube's auto-translate is access to 80 different languages in a singular effort, which I doubt we could ever find, even in this forum. Plus the added work of even just posting the top 10 languages, and validating them, could be time-consuming for a first cut.

Perhaps as a second step, I could post the .txt version of the transcript here, and folks could add quality translations in their native languages - which FAH could add incrementally as they materialize. Youtube does allow individual languages to be added or subtracted without reposting the entire video.

IMO, taking the first step to create a generic english-language transcript that Youtube could auto-translate is crucial, and it would be the fastest way to get international eyes on the topics in the video without waiting for individual translations to arrive, drip by drip.
Thats what I meant with "some" ;)

It should not to hard to find someone for most of the european languages here.
I could do the German part.

But if there is an Community-Translate option this may be even better.
wuffy68

Post by wuffy68 »

gunnarre wrote:YouTube also has a community translation feature, so you could post just the English subtitles and let the users submit their suggested subtitles on YouTube itself, subject to your approval.
Ugh ... looks like in 2020, Youtube removed the community translation contribution feature due to maintainability, abuse and spamming :x

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6052538?hl=en
6x i5 CPU-only rigs
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

Well, that's a shame. Then we'd have to use one of the subtitle formats which YouTube supports, and either hand-edit it or use a tool to contribute one file per language: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2734698

If we're provided, say, an .srt-file with the English captions, it should be easy to translate it.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950