Find out what we've contributed to?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

novosirj
Hardware configuration: Spare cycles on multiple supercomputers.

Find out what we've contributed to?

Post by novosirj »

Hi there,

What would be the simplest way for a team to look at which projects they've contributed to, and how much? We've been asked by our University media/newsletter group for some updated stats, and I figured it might be neat to tell them, say, the top 10 projects we've donated to, but I'm not sure how to most easily go about it.

Thanks in advance!
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Re: Find out what we've contributed to?

Post by BobWilliams757 »

]If you use HFM to monitor work, you can then figure out what the majority of your work units being processed are.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9903 Link to HFM.

From there you could use the Project Summary link to see the specifics of what that project is used for, often including some specifics.

https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary

Used properly, you can set up HFM to monitor multiple machines, and it will keep track of what work is being performed.
Fold them if you get them!
bruce

Post by bruce »

I'm not aware of any server-based history that keeps track of what projects you've contributed to. Extracting that information from server-based data would be a VERY long database search which would probably be over-used and would certainly require a lot of resources and would slow down the other database activities, so I don't think such a transaction would ever be approved. FAH's 20-year old collection of personal statistics is truly massive.

Unless you've kept that information on your local computer(s) I don't think you'll find what you're looking for.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Years ago there was such a search that would return how many WUs had been done for each project. But as the database grew and the number of queries against it also increased, there came a point that at times it would take more than an hour to process the previous hour's entries for WUs processed and returned for credit. The global search among others was turned off, that was over 10 years ago.

A similar search that just returned which projects had been done by someone was part of the stats API. That ran into the same kind of issue when many started using the API and there was also the large increase in entries during the first months of COVID response. That API has been deprecated, and a number of functions from it no longer return results.

Whether such a function will ever return, I have my doubts. As Bruce mentioned this kind of database search has a number of problems. For now using such 3rd party tools like HFM.net or searching through the folding logs for downloads and/or uploads of WUs is about the only way to keep track.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
novosirj
Hardware configuration: Spare cycles on multiple supercomputers.

Post by novosirj »

Thanks all for your responses. I could just set something up to watch for a little bit and take a snapshot in time anyway. I understand the difficulties with keeping too much data, but I would think that a running tally of work units or points wouldn’t be as a resource intensive.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

A summary file is created every 3 hours for teams and donors listing the total number of WUs done by the team or donor, and the total number of credits. They are available for download from the official stats page as text files. They are provided so 3rd parties can provide enhanced stats sites if they want to. Currently only Extreme OC stats is available to the general public, but some teams download the files for use by the team members.

The files though do not contain any delta information, or information on which projects are represented. So to get changes over time the entries need to be imported into a spreadsheet and processed.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3