Recover f@h

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Forcinghavok

Recover f@h

Post by Forcinghavok »

Sometimes when I get a blue screen of death and restart it seems like the app is damaged. It doesn't load the system tray icon which is how I control it. The web access doesn't work either.

So is there something I can do to recover the app? Last time this happened I did a reinstall.

Thanks.
PaulTV

Re: Recover f@h

Post by PaulTV »

It may be better to solve the blue screen rather than a strange issue caused by it. But either way, I'd start with looking at the minidump to see what's going on. See https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/min ... n-of-death, and many other resources around the subject (assuming you're running Windows 10 of course).

Ryzen 5800X / RTX 4090 / Windows 11
Ryzen 5600X / RTX 3070 Ti / Ubuntu 20.04
Ryzen 5600 / RTX 3060 Ti / Windows 11
Forcinghavok

Post by Forcinghavok »

Sorry but you totaly missed the question there. My folding at home doesn't work. How can I get folding at home working again?
PaulTV

Post by PaulTV »

Ah okay, sorry about that. It's probably best to reinstall the FAH client again. Before you do though, you may want to backup c:\Program Data\FAHClient. That folder contains the current configuration (config.xml), backups of the config (configs/) and logging (log.txt and logs/), amongst other things. That way you can at least recover the configuration. I wouldn't worry too much about recovering the work units - when they expire, they'll be reassigned again.

Ryzen 5800X / RTX 4090 / Windows 11
Ryzen 5600X / RTX 3070 Ti / Ubuntu 20.04
Ryzen 5600 / RTX 3060 Ti / Windows 11
bruce

Post by bruce »

PaulTV wrote:It may be better to solve the blue screen rather than a strange issue caused by it. But either way, I'd start with looking at the minidump to see what's going on. See https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/min ... n-of-death, and many other resources around the subject (assuming you're running Windows 10 of course).
Yes: Do solve the BSOD. Are you overclocking? Is is overheating? If you actually have a hardware problem, you need to solve it.