CPU not utilized

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

rambosser

CPU not utilized

Post by rambosser »

My taskmanager show that my CPU folder is only using a max of 9% of my processor. how come it's not using the rest of the available capacity? total % doesn't go over 40%.
is there a setting somewhere to increase the cap? yes, i'm new at this.
also, my GPU also uses a max of 45%. any way i could increase that as well?
thank you
JimboPalmer

Re: CPU not utilized

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!
rambosser wrote:My taskmanager show that my CPU folder is only using a max of 9% of my processor. how come it's not using the rest of the available capacity? total % doesn't go over 40%.
is there a setting somewhere to increase the cap? yes, i'm new at this.
There is a long standing 'feature' that the first Work Unit only uses one thread, and after that it uses as many as you have, so if you are in the first WU, life is normal.
(Just a guess, if your CPU supports 12 threads, then 1/12 of it would be near 9%)
After the first WU, it defaults to using n-1 threads as it reserves one to feed the GPU. So my theory is that it would jump to near 91%.
rambosser wrote: also, my GPU also uses a max of 45%. any way i could increase that as well?
By default Task Manager measures the CPU load your GPU imposes, not the load on your GPU, very confusing.
My favorite utility to monitor GPU load is the sensor tab of GPU-Z.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
That should satisfy your curiosity!

If you want more detailed help, you can post the first 200 lines of your log here and we will know how to advise you
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends