Question about points received VS points per day

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

burdo

Question about points received VS points per day

Post by burdo »

Hi all,

I have recently started 'folding from home' and I have a question about the points I have actually been receiving VS the points per day which is stated, as there is a discrepancy and not sure what I am doing wrong.

If that above image doesn't work, the summary of my situation is:

Points per day: ~3,000,000
Base credit per unit: ~43,000
Estimated credit per unit: ~240,000

I have been receiving the base credit amount for a unit, but that is very different to the points per day which is noted. If I were receiving the estimated credit per unit, then it would be more in line with my 'points per day'. So it seems like I am missing out on points somewhere

Not sure I am doing something wrong or is this normal?

I have completed 43 units to date.

Thanks.
gunnarre

Re: Question about points received VS points per day

Post by gunnarre »

The estimated PPD assumes a Quick-return bonus. To be be eligible you need to have a passkey set, returned more than 10 WUs with that passkey, and return at least 80% of them. Also the WU must be returned within the Timeout - not just Expiry.

How to get a passkey: https://apps.foldingathome.org/getpasskey then enter it into your configuration.

How to check if you're eligible for the QRB: https://apps.foldingathome.org/bonus

If you're still not getting the QRB after the above, post please some logs: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

As mentioned, you need to return 10 WUs with a passkey set to get the bonus. The client on your system does not have a means of checking whether your username and passkey combination has qualified for the bonus.

If you are folding under the same username as used for posting here, a total of 12 WUs have been recorded as returned under that username. The bonus lookup provided by gunnarre in the previous post shows a total of 2 WUs returned while using a passkey.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
aetch

Post by aetch »

It's probably also worth noting a couple of things regarding the make up of points.

Base credit - this is the minimum points you receive for a work unit returned before the expiry date/time. The base credit wildly varies from a few hundred point to over a hundred thousand points. Summary of current projects -> https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary

Quick return bonus (QRB) - extra points if the stars align and you complete and return the unit before the timeout.

Estimated Credit/PPD - these are just estimates based on the current workload and performance and include the QRB. These depend on a lot of factors and so should not be counted as points in the bank.
Just now my own system seems to be alternating between 3 projects (18202, 13453 and 17336), some of these units push close to 3million PPD and other drop to 2.2 million PPD. Not a complaint, just a comment - it varies.

Received points - Uh, these are the points you have actually received for work done. There are a number of tools across various websites for tracking this. Personally, I recommend Extreme overclocking -> https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com

Deadlines - There are two deadlines for returning completed work units.
Timeout - this is the first major checkpoint. You can receive bonus points up to the point. At this point the unit is reassigned to someone else to ensure science progresses.
Expiry - Up to this point your contribution still has some value either in who returns it first (you or your replacement) and/or as a double check of the results. I believe this is the point where the unit is deemed worthless and is dumped (I've never seen it happen but that's what I've been lead to believe).
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage