Multiple Assignment Attempts

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Planorez

Multiple Assignment Attempts

Post by Planorez »

I have just logged 106 attempts for a new assignment with no end in sight. The desktop has been having trouble for the past months getting new assignments. I have the same problems with other computers I have running FAH clients.
I exit the FAH client, reload it and normally I get an assignment on the first few tries. Before a couple of months ago, I didn't have to do this. I installed the latest client, Ver. 7.6.21 last week thinking that the latest version would help. The desktop has a AMD A8-6500B with 2 cores with 4 processors at 3.5 GHz The machine has 4 Gb RAM and Win 10 Pro. Any settings changes or other recommendations would be appreciated.
Planorez
JimboPalmer

Re: Multiple Assignment Attempts

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

They never issue 'filler' assignments, so if there are no WUs available, none will be issued.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Planorez

Post by Planorez »

I don't understand what a filler assignment is. Please explain.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

I will use SETI@Home as an example: In their system every WU had to be completed by two users, and if they were for any reason low on work, might be assigned to nine users to get one result.

F@H assigns a WU to just one user unless he'she does not return it by the timeout, then and only then is it assigned to a second user. WUs are never assigned again once a user completes it.

No WUs are ever reassigned just to make work, if there is no work, PC are idle.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends