FAH_32

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Moonfire

FAH_32

Post by Moonfire »

What is the file "FAH_32," AND exactly what is it doing? Is it a useless function when the main FAH is running, or is it a duplicate for the main FAH running? If main FAH is running already, does this need to be kept running?
JimboPalmer

Re: FAH_32

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

It would be much quicker to diagnose if we knew if you were on Linux, MacOS or Windows. If it is Windows, is it 32 bit or 64 bit?

There is a log with folding that tells you many details of your configuration, I am on vacation at the moment and do not have that link.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=108&t=26036
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Moonfire wrote:What is the file "FAH_32," AND exactly what is it doing? Is it a useless function when the main FAH is running, or is it a duplicate for the main FAH running? If main FAH is running already, does this need to be kept running?
There's no file like this in FAH components ...

Where is this file on your computer ?

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

Are you perhaps running Folding@Home as a Docker component or VMWare appliance? Or did you install it from foldingathome.org?
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
bruce

Post by bruce »

This might be the answer to your question:

The FAHCores were originally complied for single precision. It was accurate enough to tiny proteins. Scientists need to study larger proteins but needed to study larger proteins. Recompiling for double precision and using more RAM fixed one problem but proteins folded much slower. The FAHCores were rewritten for mixed precision was a major task which recovered much of the performance loss but limited use of the single precision version to small proteins.

Assuming the 32bit version is still up-to-date, we could require all the scientists to decide which one they need/want to use, but globally assigning the mixed precision version takes less tweaking by the science team.

And, too, does anybody need to run a 32-bit OS in this day and age?