Folding used for stress testing

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Jmarks
Hardware configuration: A) Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 Motherboard, 2gig ocz PC6400 memory, 1 80gig hard drive sata II, 1 250gig sata II hard drive, 256 ATI READON X1300PRO video card and a Intel Q9450 CPU. Win XP running SMP.
B) Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 Motherboard, 4gig Adata PC6400 memory, 1 250gig sata II hard drive, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB video card and a Intel Q9450 CPU. Win XP running SMP.
C) Intel P35 mother board, 4 gig g gyles PC6400 memory, 1 250gig sata II hard drive, 256 ATI READON X1300PRO video card and a Intel E66000 CPU. Win XP running SMP.

Folding used for stress testing

Post by Jmarks »

While I was reading benchmarkreviews.com I discovered that they use Folding in their full load testing.

"After the results have been recorded from the light idle load, our test system then receives heavy load by utilizing ATITool to scan for artifacts and two Folding@home console clients. ATITool forces the video card into high-power 3D mode, and the Folding@home clients cause 100% CPU utilization on each core. After many months of research, these two programs have proven to create more power draw than anything else available, including the combined EVEREST System Stability Test."

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?o ... mitstart=4
codysluder

Re: Folding used for stress testing

Post by codysluder »

Jmarks wrote:While I was reading benchmarkreviews.com I discovered that they use Folding in their full load testing.
We've always contended that PC overclockers needed to use Gromacs (or StressCPU2, which is the same thing) to test their stability. It's nice that the GPU community has discovered the same thing. (And probably why Microsoft doesn't want people to talk about FAH on the Xbox).

Kudos to the Pande Group and to Gromacs.org for creating the most efficient code ever produced that gets the most work out of whatever hardware you've got.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Gromacs was added to the professional benchmarking tools used by system builders recently, i.e. Spec2006.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
dille

Post by dille »

As this topic is pretty close what I have in mind I'll post my question in here.

I was wondering does the F@H -client verify correctness of its computations in anyway? I'm running folding on overclocked PC and although I have done gazillion different overclocking stress tests I'm still wondering what happens if my CPU isn't stable. For example programs like Prime95 can spot a miss behaving CPU quite well. Does F@H have the same capability? I do not want to provide wrong kind of data to the system. And I personally have 0-tolerance towards errors in overclocking, even if it happens after running the client successfully for 14 days straight and after that it errors out.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

FAH will detect if a computing error make the WU enter in an abnormal state ... it's what we call an Early Unit End.

If you want to stress your CPU with something very similiar to FAH, you can use the Gromacs StressCPU http://www.gromacs.org/component/option ... Itemid,26/ : this program is intended for testing and always verify the operations he's doing.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.