Pc to Slow???

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Regan

Pc to Slow???

Post by Regan »

Hi i have two pcs at my house atm, and my good 1 is burning through the WUs, but is it worth me running Folding@home on it.
its a p2 300mhz with mmx, 384mb ram and a nvidia vanta lt 8mb, running xp home.
well if it can do things that arnt as demanded as the things that are important then it should be ok, right?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Pc to Slow???

Post by 7im »

If that processor has SSE capabilites, it should finish work units before the deadlines. If the work units are not completed before the deadline for that work unit, no points are credited.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Regan

Post by Regan »

well its got mmx tech but not sse, but would it still finish it before the dealine?
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

SSE was introduced with P3 ... so your P2 is in my opinion too old to fold :(

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Regan

Post by Regan »

so its not even worth running it at all?
if thats the case i would upgrade it so it can, does it make a diffrence if the cpu finishes folding before the due date?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Regan wrote:so its not even worth running it at all?
if thats the case i would upgrade it so it can, does it make a diffrence if the cpu finishes folding before the due date?
No. Please upgrade if you can. If you miss the deadline, the fah client will delete the work unit, and download a new work unit. No points, and nothing is contributed to the project. That is not worth it.
Regan

Post by Regan »

so ideally i used it as a home server, what would be useful for fah and my home,
like pc spec wise but it needs to be low budget tho, i have a good amount of sd ram, so ideally i need a mb and cpu, how fast does the p3 hav to be to keep up with the work?
7im

Post by 7im »

The slowest P3 is 450 MHz. Those will make the deadlines easily.
Regan

Post by Regan »

so ideally any cpu would du with sse instruction support?
7im

Post by 7im »

Regan wrote:so ideally any cpu would du with sse instruction support?
7im wrote:If that processor has SSE capabilites, it should finish work units before the deadlines.
Yes. The faster the better.
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

Nowadays you may as well get the cheapest dual core you can find. Intel preferably, but AMD if not.

Then overclock it a bit.

End spec should be something like this.

Intel/AMD Dual Core CPU (2GHz should be a bare minimum to look for)
A Motherboard
1GB Ram
Anything else you need
Regan

Post by Regan »

yea i might do that, i could pick all that up for about 220-400 anyway
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

My slowest machine is a 1GHz first-gen Athlon. It's running 3DNow on it's current WU. Gotta love that old hardware.
sneakers55

Post by sneakers55 »

Regan wrote:so its not even worth running it at all?
IMHO, something that old should be upgraded to a new CPU that'll use less power.
Regan wrote:if thats the case i would upgrade it so it can, does it make a diffrence if the cpu finishes folding before the due date?
Faster is always better as the WUs are based on earlier results.
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 4200+ (2.2 GHz)
Intel C2D 6400 (2.13 GHz)
Intel C2D T7800 (2.6 GHz)
PS3
Regan

Post by Regan »

yea tru but i havnt yet frozen it, its the setup that has a huge heatsink that u dont need a fan running 2 keep it cold, even wen its under full load
it dusnt use as much power as ma m8s core 2 duo 2.0ghz, but hey its a goodie, its a refuge station setup apart from the 256 stick of sd