I have a bit of an issue

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Proverb

I have a bit of an issue

Post by Proverb »

I'm running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 3800+ Proc. system with 4GB of memory and I'm relatively new to folding.

My problem is that no matter what I do to configure the client and set priority for the process itself it only ever uses the equvilent of 100% on one core at a time which means it peaks at 50% processor usage.

The thing is, is that if I change the priority and/or core-affinity of the process it will do things like run at 30% on one core and 20% on the other but never more than a total of 50%.

I wanna get more folding done and I want to peg my proc at 100%!!

Any help>??!
Proverb

Re: I have a bit of an issue

Post by Proverb »

BTW I'm running 5.03 GUI
bruce

Post by bruce »

The v5.03 GUI client is a uniprocessor client which means it is limited to running on one processor at a time, which is exactly what you've observed.

You have two choices which can increase your productivity.

There is a beta SMP client that can use up to four CPUs simultaneously. The Windows SMP client has some pretty "rough edges" and is really only applicable if you run 24x7. The Linux and MacOS X SMP clients have fewer bugs. The science being done by the SMP client is superior to that being done by the regular client and the points are much higher, but it's still not for everyone. If you might be up for a bit of beta testing, read the appropriate forum and then make your own decision.

Before the SMP client was introduced, many people ran two clients on dual machines. That's still a viable option. There's a WIKI article telling how to do that. Once it is set up, it should be trouble free and you can run your processor at 100% until some time in the future when the SMP client is eventually released. http://fahwiki.net/index.php/FAH_%26_SM ... le_Clients
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

I'm running the SMP on a 6000+. I'd recommend trying that. The only possible problem would be in making deadlines if you don't run 24/7. Running 2 CPU clients will give you longer deadlines and give you more flexability to shutdown your computer for days at a time, if needed.
Proverb

Post by Proverb »

Thanks for your input!

I'll look in to SMP.