Run CPU and GPU Clients simultaneously?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

rich12321

Run CPU and GPU Clients simultaneously?

Post by rich12321 »

I recently upgraded my video to a X1650 Pro 512 and was wondering about running both the GPU client and the CPU client simultaneously. I'm currently running a single instance of the 5.03 Graphical client but plan to switch to one of the Betas on Tuesday after the current WU is completed to better take advantage of my (P4 HT 2.6) CPU. I'd like to run the GPU client also if possible. I'd prefer not to run either of them as a service as I use this as a gaming rig occasionally and would need to be able to shut them down peacefully to do so.

I didn't see anything addressing this elsewhere in the forums or on the wiki, (or didn't recognize it as such.) I'm very new to folding (2 months?) and would appreciate any advice on configuration, etc.

Many Thanks In Advance!
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: Run CPU and GPU Clients simultaneously?

Post by toTOW »

Put your GPU client in a new folder ... when asked for Advanced options, say yes ... and enter a different Machine ID (your CPU client should have Machine ID 1 ... so your GPU client Machine ID must be at least 2).

Then, run both client with the -local flag added in each shortcuts.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

You have a single core processor, so you should really be choosing between the CPU or GPU clients. Point-wise, GPU for the win. With a dual core you can run both at once.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

He has a HT processor ... I think the HT may be able to handle the communication with the GPU ;)

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Ren02

Post by Ren02 »

You should try out the different combinations. Check the frame times when running only CPU client, when running only GPU client and when running both.
You'll probably get more points when running both CPU and GPU but the speed of both clients will drop somewhat. It's important that the GPU client still makes its deadlines (which are quite short compared to the CPU client).
Is your machine on 24/7?
rich12321

Post by rich12321 »

Thanks for the advice everyone. My processor is a dual core and my machine does indeed run 24/7/365. I used to run SETI@Home but switched to Folding@home. I'll give the various combinations a shot and post back when I have some comparison data to share.
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Post by jrweiss »

I've tried all 3 combinations on my dual Opteron 246 -- CPU+CPU, CPU+GPU, and SMP. SMP yielded the highest PPD when it worked, but was unstable because of the wireless LAN connection it uses. CPU+GPU was next, but my wife told me I could NOT run that on "her" machine because the GPU client caused too many gfx stalls, hangups, and freezes (notably in Photoshop, occasionally in Acrobat, and often in her embroidery apps). CPU+CPU (services) is the current setup, and it yields about half the PPD of the SMP client.
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]
Crzy Joe

Post by Crzy Joe »

Newbie to the forum, lurking mostly. Need some help.

I have a P4 HT running the regular 5.03 client.

I picked up a used Ati x1900xt hoping to add to my folding. But when I downloaded the 5.91 gpu client and tried running it, it said another FAH was already running and it closed the 5.91

Did I read something wrong? Can I not run the CPU and GPU Clients simultaneously? If someone can give me a step by step guide on how to get it working it would be much appreciated.

Joe
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Post by jrweiss »

You need to set the GPU client (and it must be the console version) to use machine ID 2. It must also be in a separate folder from the CPU client, and you must use the -local command line switch.

Start with the -configonly switch to set the machine ID. Create a shortcut and add the following arguments to the command line:

-local -verbosity 9

The verbosity flag will help in troubleshooting, as the logs will be more complete.

Some people have success running CPU+GPU on a HT CPU. If the CPU client slows noticeably after you get it all configured, you may want to decide to run one or the other.

Info in the Wiki here: http://fahwiki.net/index.php/FAH_%26_SM ... le_Clients
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]
bruce

Post by bruce »

jrweiss wrote:You need to set the GPU client (and it must be the console version) to use machine ID 2.
Either of the clients can be the console version and can be set to MachineID=2. The other can remain at MachineID=1 which is the default (and the only choice for any GUI client).
Crzy Joe

Post by Crzy Joe »

Thanks jrweiss / bruce,

I managed to get everything running now. However I can't seem to have it automatically boot up when I reboot my computer. My original CPU Client always starts on reboot, but the GPU Console needs me to physically click it to start. When I open up my Windows Task Manager, I do see FahCore_81.exe running, I also see the FAH 6.0 console listed in the processes, but the FahCore 10 does not automatically run unless I physically start it up by clicking the icon.

When I do have the GPU Console running, I notice that the Power Supply and the Video card are whirring away, rather than the close to silence when my computer was just folding via CPU.

I watched it fold for a bit while at work, then about 15 minutes into it my screen goes black and my computer seems to hang with no response via keyboard input. Shortly my screen comes back, and I notice that my GPU Console window is closed, I double check Windows Task Manager, and surely it is no longer in the processes.

Can anyone explain what is happening? I read up on some more FAQ's and downloaded this atitool thing. When I loaded this program up, it says default GPU 620, Memory 720, and it showed a temperature reading of 93 degrees celsius. I am guessing the FAH GPU Console is overworking the GPU and overheating? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Can any settings be changed thru atitool to make the GPU not shut down the application, or do I have to find alternative cooling methods....I am not too keen on those water cooled thingies. Is heat even the issue here?

Thanks for reading my rant.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Crzy Joe wrote:Can anyone explain what is happening? I read up on some more FAQ's and downloaded this atitool thing. When I loaded this program up, it says default GPU 620, Memory 720, and it showed a temperature reading of 93 degrees celsius. I am guessing the FAH GPU Console is overworking the GPU and overheating? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Can any settings be changed thru atitool to make the GPU not shut down the application, or do I have to find alternative cooling methods....I am not too keen on those water cooled thingies. Is heat even the issue here?
That would be my guess, too. (Overheating, probably. Overworked: That depends on how you define that word.)

Does your case need better air-flow? Is that 93C with FAH running, or with the GPU idle?
Crzy Joe

Post by Crzy Joe »

93C is with Fah Core10 running and high 50's to low 60's when it is not running.

I plugged this video card into my office computer and upgraded the power supply, all internal and not noticeable. :ewink: I don't think they'll let me upgrade the case for better airflow. :shock:

I know GPU Cores have faster deadlines....why do they do that, same with PS3's.

What can I do to make the GPU more stable without missing out on deadlines. Will lowering the voltage or underclocking / lowering the speed of te GPU make it less likely to heat up. But will I miss the deadline thus making that workunit useless? I usually leave my computer on all the time. What is the minimal settings I can have on the GPU while still positively contributing?

Thanks!
Ren02

Post by Ren02 »

You can use a third party heatsink for you graphics card. Either Zalman or Arctic Cooling or whatever is available where you live. :)

Undervolting can cause stability problems as well. Underclocking should be OK, the deadlines are 3 days and as gpu.fahinfo.org shows, it usually takes much less than a day for x1900xt to complete a WU. 3 days deadline is more than enough even if you underclock 2 times.
Crzy Joe

Post by Crzy Joe »

Thanks Ren02,

I will keep it at regular voltage for stability sake.

Currently on the speed I have it at 500.00 and memory at 600.00 on the atitool

Temp of Voltage Regulator is at 74C
Current Draw 16.4A
Fan Speed 32%
GPU Temp 70C
Temperature of Temp. Chip 55C

Doesn't seem to be resetting anymore. Normally it would do so within 15 minutes.

If anyone else has encountered the same issues, can they also suggest a good reliable underclock speed that will maximize folding efficiency while minimizing stability issues?

Thanks