F@H core download error (#..), waiting before retry

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

hurra

F@H core download error (#..), waiting before retry

Post by hurra »

That's the message I've been getting the last week, when I place the pointer on the folding icon in my system tray. Can anyone tell me what's wrong?
uncle fuzzy

Re: F@H core download error (#..), waiting before retry

Post by uncle fuzzy »

Stop your client and delete the queue.dat file in your folding folder. When you restart the client, it will regenerate that file and then download a new WU. It may, or may not, also need a new core, but if it does, hopefully it will work better.
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

uncle fuzzy wrote:Stop your client and delete the queue.dat file in your folding folder.
I wouldn't do that before checking for wuresults_0x.dat files in the work folder.

Wouldn't want to throw away any WUs waiting to upload. :wink:
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

Well, if he's been waiting a week to download a core, I just kinda guessed the prior WU had uploaded in that time. My bad.
hurra

Post by hurra »

:(

I've deleted the file, but it's still the same. Why are these grids so advanced, that the average user (that's me) can't help the scientists.... :D
bruce

Post by bruce »

hurra wrote::(

I've deleted the file, but it's still the same. Why are these grids so advanced, that the average user (that's me) can't help the scientists.... :D
Welcome to the foldingforum, hurra. I wish we had met under more agreeable circumstances. ;)

You've been unlucky.

There are lots of users, some average, some newbies, and some real gurus. Some in each category have problems that don't seem easy to resolve. Most are much luckier and they manage to turn out a tremendous amount of work that the scientists can and do use. The experience level of the user doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.

The error you're reporting has been reported by others, though it's fairly rare. Nobody has been able to identify the cause. Sometimes suggestions such as the one given above work. Sometimes not. I'd recommend that you clear your temporary internet files, too, but that's no more likely to fix your problem than any other suggestions you'll be getting.
trapdoor

Post by trapdoor »

Hi i also have been getting this message for about a week now i am running it on vista home premium. my system info is intel pentium dual cpu e2180 @ 2.00 gb ram , NVIDIA GEforce 8800 gts 512 graphics card . I have it currently running on my xp and it works fine but when insatlled it on my new pc it installs ok and works the first wu and uploads it ok. I was wondering if it works on vista so i installed the console version put in my user name and the team number but it comes up with an error of wich i can,t remember i have done all what you all recomended to do but istill happens aand the only way i can get it to work is uninsaling the programe and re instaling it again any other suggestions would be gratefull.
bruce

Post by bruce »

trapdoor wrote:Hi i also have been getting this message for about a week now i am running it on vista home premium. my system info is intel pentium dual cpu e2180 @ 2.00 gb ram , NVIDIA GEforce 8800 gts 512 graphics card . I have it currently running on my xp and it works fine but when insatlled it on my new pc it installs ok and works the first wu and uploads it ok. I was wondering if it works on vista so i installed the console version put in my user name and the team number but it comes up with an error of wich i can,t remember i have done all what you all recomended to do but istill happens aand the only way i can get it to work is uninsaling the programe and re instaling it again any other suggestions would be gratefull.
It sounds like the FAH installation directory and perhaps some of the files inside it doesn't belong to the user who is running it. Vista has much tighter security requirements that XP and they're causing a variety of problems for many folks.

Where did you install FAH? Is UserAccountControl enabled or disabled?
trapdoor

Post by trapdoor »

Thanks for the reply the user acount control is disabled.I instaled in the c programe files drive.
bruce

Post by bruce »

trapdoor wrote:Thanks for the reply the user acount control is disabled.I instaled in the c programe files drive.
Vista has special security for the Program_Files directory. If you reinstall somewhere else your problems will probably go away.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
trapdoor

Post by trapdoor »

I have re instaled it on another drive hope that has fixed it i,ll let you know when i have finishe the wu TTFN.
trapdoor

Post by trapdoor »

Hi the work unit has finished and downloaded another work unit ok but the only snag was the programe stopped working and was shutdown by the computer so i restarted it thanks again let's see if the next work unit downloads ok finger's crossed.
earthsaver

Post by earthsaver »

I, too, am getting the core download error. I'm using the SMP client via Increase on a Mac Pro running Leopard. Haven't had this trouble before. Deleting queue.data and the Work folder and restarting the client doesn't help. I have no trouble manually downloading the core and setting it executable, but the client doesn't accept it. What can I do?
- Ben
M1 iMac
earthsaver

Post by earthsaver »

earthsaver wrote:I, too, am getting the core download error. I'm using the SMP client via Increase on a Mac Pro running Leopard. Haven't had this trouble before. Deleting queue.data and the Work folder and restarting the client doesn't help. I have no trouble manually downloading the core and setting it executable, but the client doesn't accept it. What can I do?
Not only SMP clients, but all of my Mac client systems, including PPCs, are failing to download the core files. It doesn't make any sense, because I can navigate and download them manually in a browser. Why can't Folding@home do the same?
- Ben
M1 iMac