Data usage

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ceejay

Data usage

Post by ceejay »

Hi,

I'm interested in running FAH, but I can't find any guide as to how much bandwidth it uses. Even the client downloads don't have any sizes listed... I have a cap of only 1Gb per month, and don't want to find that I'm using it all on FAH!

Obviously it will vary depending on all sorts of variables, but could anyone give me a rough guide of how big the work units are, and how many I might process in a month?

Tx
jackrabbit

Re: Data usage

Post by jackrabbit »

Depending on your machine, you might complete anywhere from a single to 25 WUs in a month. The WU sizes vary but most are under 5 MB. You can configure the client not to request big WUs which come in at around 10 MB.

I see only a very small selection of the various WU types on my machines, so there may be WUs outside of the indicated ranges.
The biggest difference between time and space is that you can't reuse time.
maninblack
Hardware configuration: Vista x64 SP1, ASUS P5B Deluxe Wifi/AP, Intel Q6600, 4GB XMS2 DDR2 800, EVGA 8800GTS640, 1.5TB RAID 5

Re: Data usage

Post by maninblack »

Most of the later P4's will complete 1WU every 3-7 days. Even modern Intel and AMD processors may take upwards of 30 hours or more depending on hardware and software factors to complete 1WU.
The "small" WU's which is the default, all come in at or less than 5MB.
You probably don't have a quad core, or even a dual core. So you'll at best be getting 1WU every 24 hours. For a total of 155MB per month.

So, simply ask yourself where does my processor lie in the grand scheme of speeds.

Fastest: Intel Core 2 Quad processors 2.4Ghz+ (between 300-500MB per month)
Fast: Intel Core 2 Duo processors 2.2Ghz+ , AMD Athalon64 6000+ or greater (between 150-250MB per month)
Average: 2Ghz+ Pentium M or AMD Turion (between 50-100MB per month)
Slow: 2Ghz+ Pentium 4 (Prescott core) (between 25-50MB per month)

There's alot more to it than that, like memory speed, and cache sizes, which client you're running, what operating system you're using. How fast you fold (and thus how much you download) depend on many many factors, so giving an exact number isn't possible.
Vista x64 SP1, ASUS P5B Deluxe Wifi/AP, Intel Q6600, 4GB XMS2 DDR2 800, EVGA 8800GTS640, 1.5TB RAID 5