Running F@H on Multiple Computers - Use Same Username?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

macfan777

Running F@H on Multiple Computers - Use Same Username?

Post by macfan777 »

I read that if you run multiple clients your work units will not finish on time - is this per computer or per username? I noticed some people are running like 30 processors at a time, so they either have their own local distributed computing network or they're running more than one computer with the same username. Is this second option possible?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Running F@H on Multiple Computers - Use Same Username?

Post by 7im »

Yes. You can enter the same user name for all of your installed clients, on as many computers as you want.

The project recommends running one fah client/core per physical CPU/core for maximum performance. Obviously, you can running fewer if you want. Running more than one fah client per processor/core will only slow down the science of the project in almost all cases.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
macfan777

Post by macfan777 »

Okay. A quick question - on my dual-processor Mac, it shows four cores running. It's still getting the WU's done. Is this just because each core has a limit to what it can do and the computer is fast enough to handle four cores, or could this possibly affect the performance?
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

Are you running the SMP? It always runs 4 FahCores- 2 per physical core on a dualie and 1 per physical core on a quad..
Last edited by uncle fuzzy on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

It would be helpful to review the SMP client FAQ. For instance Why lock to 4 cores?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.