Folding without the internet?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

aslum

Folding without the internet?

Post by aslum »

At one of my jobs I don't have internet access, but regularly have my laptop running. If I DL a Work Unit before I goto work, could I then run it w/out internet access and upload it once I got home? I currently am running F@H on my PS3, but if I could do this, it'd be worth installing on the lappie.
Thanks
Ren02

Re: Folding without the internet?

Post by Ren02 »

Yes.
You need intenet access just for downloading the WU and uploading simulation results, in the meantime you can happily fold away without connection. :)
It is possible to take this concept even further: start several clients on the laptop so that they download a WU, then stop them, copy the whole directory over to a machine without internet access let them process there and then later come and collect the results. 8-) It's called sneakernetting.
bruce

Re: Folding without the internet?

Post by bruce »

Two words of caution.
1) Even if you have a dual-core CPU in your laptop, do not try the SMP client. It has problems with changes in in internet connectivity. The standard client should run just fine.
2) I object to Ren02's use of the word "several" but it does depend on the circumstance. If your laptop is away from home 5 days at at time and WUs typically take 3 days on your computer, then two copies of FAH would be reasonable. Don't start extra copies which will download WUs unless you have a reasonable expectation of finishing all but one of them.