New to the world of PC based folding.. [and relative newby]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

TheKellieGang

Post by TheKellieGang »

I was running the same work unit as my wife's computer I believe.. p3040_supervillin-03
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

TheKellieGang wrote:but the difference between the two is bigger than that :)
Do you fold the same project :?: (you can only compare machines when they fold the same project number)

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

Try using the -forceasm flag to speed up processing (and correct the bad shutdowns you may have force on FAH).

P3040 is a pretty lightweight workunit in the whole scheme of things. If you are running any sort of current hardware it shouldnt be taking much more than a day or two to complete it.
bruce

Post by bruce »

v00d00 wrote:Try using the -forceasm flag to speed up processing (and correct the bad shutdowns you may have force on FAH).
No, no, no. ( :P :wink: )

Please don't tell folks that -forceasm speeds up processing. That rumor has been with us much too long and continuing to circulate it is like some of those junk emails about how opening a christmas greeting with a certain name will wipe out everything on your hard-drive and that McAfee and Norton and ... are unable to do anything about it (in a forwarded message with no date but originally circulated about 10 years ago).

The -forceasm flag WILL correct for bad shutdowns (crashes) if you have them but if your machine doesn't crash, it will not do anything for the speed of your processing.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

-forceasm works around the "using standard loops" issue (not using speed optimizations like SSE) for after a system/client crash and restart. -forceasm enables the client to fold at full speed (not increase folding speed).

This bastardized myth came about from only half-way explaining the usaged of the -forceasm switch, or from misunderstanding what the switch actually did. To a lay-person, it does appear to make the client fold faster (than before when it was just using standard loops), but the switch does NOT make the system fold any faster than it was originally capable of folding (without any crashes, and using SSE, etc.). Point of view / symantical distortion I guess...
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

How about this:

System crashes can slow down folding unless you use -forceasm.
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

Sorry, it was badly phrased.

I wasnt planning to consolidate the speed up myth, although i suspect the OP would benefit from adding the flag.

What i should have done was request the FAHlog.txt i guess.

I really shouldnt type up 5 min posts in 20 secs with over simplification. :oops:
TheKellieGang

Post by TheKellieGang »

Just a thankyou note to those who gave advice on setting up a second console and also setting up the console to act as a service...

Team 95835 doing great now :) thanks again..