Folding@home on Amazon EC2

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

I pay less power per year (170€) for my quad core, than only a month on Amazon EC2 ...

And I can find a dedicated server, with C2D 2.33 GHz, for only 80€ per month, that will be better than a dual opteron 2GHz like in AC2.

I think it speaks on its own.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
ICE_9

Post by ICE_9 »

bruce wrote:In the previous forum, we had a similar discussion about people who auctioned FAH points on ebay.

I though that before any of you decide to start advertising a service here with some statement like "I've got a computer that I'd be glad to rent for $xxxx which can earn yyy PPD for your account" I'd better remind you that we prohibit commercial posts and will delete it just like we're trying to do with the other spam. No selling allowed.

Nevertheless, I think my point is that with a little negotiation, you ought to be able to find the same thing cheaper.
Agreed. This is not a sales place. I am happy that will be moderated out of the forum.

I would like to see some comparisons on boxen built for optimum PPKWh (points per Kilowatt hour). Might need a new thread since I think I am thread jacking this one bad. :roll:
http://www.hardforum.com

Team [H]ard OCP.
hrsetrdr

Re: Folding@home on Amazon EC2

Post by hrsetrdr »

I watched a couple of those ebay auctions(even bid on one, just for :D :D :D ). My rudimentary calculations suggested that my personal machines are a bit more cost effective. For someone in the "less than" 1000 ppd catagory, it would have some shock and awe value in the short term, if engaged in a points race.
Folding rig:Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 128GB DDR3 ECC Registered

Install Folding@Home on Linux without Python dependancy issues