move work to other computer

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

saab

move work to other computer

Post by saab »

Haven't found any info on stopping a smp client moving to another computer or OS and finishing the WU. What needs moved and what limitations are there as far as going from linux smp 6.0 to win SMP. My laptop dual boots and Ive been running Linux 7.10 with fah SMP 6.0 but occasionally need to boot back into xp for some periods of time (wireless acting up on linux boot after several hours of use, runs fine in xp boot but thats another issue). I run vmware and linux 7.10 with SMP 6.0 there. I have had limited success transferring the WU to continue run. Is work unit, queue dat and unit info all that is needed or should machine dependant dat go too? client config and exe's are set up on both instances.
bruce

Re: move work to other computer

Post by bruce »

I don't think anybody knows, for sure.

Many of the files are probably identical so you might be able to transfer the work or might not. The machinedependent.dat file is for Linux only. Windows uses a registry entry.
theMASS
Hardware configuration: 8 - Q6600s (mixed steppings) average clock speed 3.3GHz
1 - E6420 @ 3.2GHz (This box is bulletproof - Stable for over a year) Avg 2250/PPD
1 - E6600 @ Stock (The only Intel chip in the last 2 years that "only" ran stock)
P35 and G33 based Gigabyte motherboards
Dedicated boxes run Notfred's Linux
Production boxes run Vista and XP Pro with Linux SMP running in a VM

Post by theMASS »

A method I have used to move SMP WUs from one Linux machine to another involves the use of my favorite folding "app" notfred's folding CD. When folding using notfred's "stuff" (you're going to use the .iso of the folding CD) you can Backup a WU through the web interface. (I recommend to a USB flash drive)

With the setup you described, you will need to run the folding .iso under VMware server both when running your "normal Linux distro" and under Win. The .iso and .vmx files can be downloaded here: http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/cd.html.

The WU will automatically get backed up to the USB flash drive at the interval you specify on the download page or may be manually backed up via web interface. When you start the folding app it will look for the USB flash drive and will continue folding the WU from the USB drive.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

You can't move fah from one type of operating system to another. The files are not interchangeable.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
theMASS
1 - E6420 @ 3.2GHz (This box is bulletproof - Stable for over a year) Avg 2250/PPD
1 - E6600 @ Stock (The only Intel chip in the last 2 years that "only" ran stock)

Post by theMASS »

7im wrote:You can't move fah from one type of operating system to another. The files are not interchangeable.
Correct not from OS to OS... but Yes from Machine to Machine or Virtual Machine.

You can start a WU in Linux running natively and move it to a machine that runs Windows as the Host OS and runs Linux as a Guest OS through a virtual machine.

I had a WU earlier that was giving me trouble on the machine that downloaded it, so I backed it up and finished it on a Windows box running Linux in a VMware Server. The other day my Internet was down so I pulled a WU from a VMware server running Linux on my Vista box and moved it to a Quad that couldn't get new work... better to have 2 cores waiting than 4 ;)
saab

Post by saab »

Thanks for the info. Mostly as I suspected.
I was doing it right but the unit I lost was already corrupt when my wireless locked up.
I still prefer running under the linux distro as it gives better performance. Maybe Ill just plug the laptop into the network and bypass the wireless when I switch back off the evil MS OS.
I was getting ready to try notfred's "stuff". This just gives me one more reason to try it.
theMASS

Post by theMASS »

Well I'm certainly a big fan of notfred's work ;) It runs extremely well under VMware fyi. Auto detects it and configures accordingly. I don't have numbers to back this up..but it seems like I getting better performance running VMware...definitely not too much of a hit if any. It's like magic :biggrin: