Better FAH?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ruth

Better FAH?

Post by ruth »

I have a PS3 and I really like the Folding@home on the PS3 better than the GUI on my computer.
I am trying to get my friends to run it and i think many of them dont find it "attractive".
Folding@home on the computer is really really boring. PS3 has the cool globe feature to go with it. And the molecules jiggle around and stuff. And you can rotate it and zoom in and etc.

Is the computer going to get one like that anytime soon?

What is the difference between Rossetta@home and F@H?
bruce

Re: Better FAH?

Post by bruce »

ruth wrote:Is the computer going to get one like that anytime soon?
There are several different versions of the FAH client for PCs. The GPU version (which runs only on recent ATI graphics cards) will be upgraded soon. There was a demo of this version at a trade show not too long ago and it appears to have similar graphics (perhaps identical) to the PS3 client. Unfortunately if your friends don't happen to have an advanced GPU, they're probably going to be disappointed with the graphics for the foreseeable future.
What is the difference between Rossetta@home and F@H?
Rossetta attempts to predict the final shape of a folded protein without knowing all the intermediate steps. F@H attempts to understand the entire folding process from the unfolded state to the folded state by simulating each step along the way.