Passkey...

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Muzik

Passkey...

Post by Muzik »

Alright, so I have a passkey. What do I do with it?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Passkey...

Post by 7im »

Please Read The Free: Passkey FAQ

If you have additional questions, please ask.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
brityank

Post by brityank »

7im,

How does it get used for the GUI version, or does this only apply to the Console versions? Thanks.

:?
... ... Free Republic Folders - A Tribute to Ronald Reagan ... ...
bruce

Post by bruce »

brityank wrote:7im,

How does it get used for the GUI version, or does this only apply to the Console versions? Thanks.

:?
The passkey applies only to the V6 beta clients, not to V4 or V5 -- but both the Console and GUI clients will accept the passkey.

All of the beta clients are set to expire in a day or two (depending on your timezone) so there will be new clients posted shortly. If you're currently running a v5 version, I wouldn't bother to upgrade until the new clients can be downloaded. (I don't know when that will be.) All of the V6 clients are called v6_beta_1 and the next version will be called something else when they change.
brityank

Post by brityank »

bruce wrote:The passkey applies only to the V6 beta clients, not to V4 or V5 -- but both the Console and GUI clients will accept the passkey.
Then I guess my adding it into my Console Ver. 5.04 did nothing bad, I hope. :shock:

I'm sure I'll be the first to know if it does! :lol:

Thanks, Bruce.
bruce

Post by bruce »

brityank wrote:Then I guess my adding it into my Console Ver. 5.04 did nothing bad, I hope. :shock:

I'm not quite sure how you add it to V 5.04. When you run the V5.04 client with -config or with -configonly, here are the questions you get.

User name [Anonymous]?
Team Number [0]?
Launch automatically at machine startup, installing this as a
service (yes/no) [no]?
Ask before fetching/sending work (no/yes) [no]?
Use Internet Explorer Settings (no/yes) [no]?
Use proxy (yes/no) [no]?
Allow receipt of work assignments and return of work results greater than
5MB in size (such work units may have large memory demands) (no/yes) [no]?
Change advanced options (yes/no) [no]?

When you run v6, the questions change and there is one about the passkey.
User name [Anonymous]?
Team Number [0]?

Passkey []?
Launch automatically at machine startup, installing this as a
service (yes/no) [no]?
Ask before fetching/sending work (no/yes) [no]?
Use proxy (yes/no) [no]?
Acceptable size of work assignment and work result packets (bigger units
may have large memory demands) -- 'small' is <5MB, 'normal' is <10MB, and
'big' is >10MB (small/normal/big) [normal]?
Change advanced options (yes/no) [no]?
brityank

Post by brityank »

bruce wrote:
brityank wrote:Then I guess my adding it into my Console Ver. 5.04 did nothing bad, I hope. :shock:

I'm not quite sure how you add it to V 5.04.
I just followed the directions: Right click on Title Bar, and hit "Paste" after getting the Key on my clipboard, and selecting the Edit tab on the dropdown.

So easy, a caveman can do it :!: :lol:

(Yeah; I know -- didn't do anything but stick it in the bit-bucket. :| )

Thanks.
Cheers.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Not sure where you pasted it to, as you wouldn't get a Passkey prompt with the v5 setup. Paste the passkey number in when you get the Passkey prompt in v6, as Bruce noted above...

User name [Anonymous]?
Team Number [0]?
Passkey []? (<---paste it in at this prompt)

And with the v6 GUI client, there is a Passkey field on the User Tab of the client configuration. Enter it there when using the GUI client.
brityank

Post by brityank »

7im wrote:Not sure where you pasted it to, as you wouldn't get a Passkey prompt with the v5 setup. Paste the passkey number in when you get the Passkey prompt in v6, as Bruce noted above...

User name [Anonymous]?
Team Number [0]?
Passkey []? (<---paste it in at this prompt)

And with the v6 GUI client, there is a Passkey field on the User Tab of the client configuration. Enter it there when using the GUI client.
Here you go, 7im -- from the directions you pointed us to above:
Is there an easy way to enter the passkey into the client?

Yes, you can copy and paste it from the email you receive from FAH.
On Windows, to paste into the console, right click on the Title Bar, then select "Paste" from the menu that appears. It is strongly recommended that the client.cfg file not be manually edited, as it's not a plain text file and could become corrupted.
Also, there's nothing in that Wiki that restricts it to a specific release. As I said, it worked, but likely just dropped the key into the bit-bucket someplace. I looked in my F@Hlog and it doesn't show any change. No harm, no foul! :mrgreen:
7im

Post by 7im »

Correct, there is nothing in the Passkey FAQ to indicate v6. I will change that. However, the FAQ entry for the v6 client is very specific.

The page where you requested the passkey also says this...
Welcome to the Folding@home v6.0 passkey creation/retreival page.
... so I guess you missed that part. ;)

And the quote you show for adding the passkey were not the only instructions in that FAQ about where to enter the passkey. What is a passkey?
The passkey is a unique identifier that ties your contributions directly to you (not just those with your username) and allows you to prevent others from cheating in your name. Obtain a passkey from our web site (see below), enter it when you configure the client, and the client and servers will do the rest.
I edited the FAQ to make these things more evident. I hope that helps.

Thanks again for the feedback.
brityank

Post by brityank »

7im wrote:Correct, there is nothing in the Passkey FAQ to indicate v6. I will change that. However, the FAQ entry for the v6 client is very specific.

The page where you requested the passkey also says this...
Welcome to the Folding@home v6.0 passkey creation/retreival page.
... so I guess you missed that part. ;)

And the quote you show for adding the passkey were not the only instructions in that FAQ about where to enter the passkey. What is a passkey?
The passkey is a unique identifier that ties your contributions directly to you (not just those with your username) and allows you to prevent others from cheating in your name. Obtain a passkey from our web site (see below), enter it when you configure the client, and the client and servers will do the rest.
I edited the FAQ to make these things more evident. I hope that helps.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Thanks, 7im -- that should clear it up for the rest of the herd.

Now; about those "Bonus Points" ... ...
Perhaps more interestingly, we plan to shortly institute credit bonuses, which will be tied to passkeys.
I see an upgrade in my future. 8-)
7im

Post by 7im »

brityank wrote:I see an upgrade in my future. 8-)
Yep, the day after tomorrow, most likely.
DZhon

Post by DZhon »

Hi all, I have a small questions about passkey.
First, We have a subteam called ODC in TSC! Russia team, and we want to know stats of every our users(subteam). Can we use passkey for this ends ? And second question(f we can use passkey), which username our users should input on the page of subsribing passkeys? "ODC" or uniq username ?

I`m ssory for my English...
bruce

Post by bruce »

DZhon wrote:Hi all, I have a small questions about passkey.
First, We have a subteam called ODC in TSC! Russia team, and we want to know stats of every our users(subteam). Can we use passkey for this ends ? And second question(f we can use passkey), which username our users should input on the page of subsribing passkeys? "ODC" or uniq username ?

I`m ssory for my English...
I don't think that anybody knows yet. From what I do understand I don't expect it to serve that purpose.

There are no transactions that can summarize the stats by passkey and I don't know when (or if) there will be. You won't be able to get sub-team reports unless Stanford decides to write those reports. The passkeys will NOT be reported to the 3rd party stats sites so they will NOT be able to provide that function.

One of the important functions of the passkey is client security so it's not a good idea to distribute them to others.