Fold when idle?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Coldplayer

Fold when idle?

Post by Coldplayer »

Wondering if F@H is ever gonna have a feature where it'll stop folding when the comp is doing something else resource heavy or only start when comp is idle.

Thanks
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Re: Fold when idle?

Post by P5-133XL »

It already does that. The way Windows works is that it has a priority system set up such that Windows always does activities that are higher in priority before doing anything of lower priority. Folding has a very low priority, effectively just slightly above idle. So Folding only replaces idling and if anything else of higher priority wants to run (virtually everything) then it gets the entire use of the CPU: folding simply will not run until the computer is idling again. So folding only uses the surplus CPU cycles and does not really interfere with other uses.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Coldplayer does have a point -- and so does P5-133XL.

Because Operating Systems have years of development behind them, they have a very sophisticated task scheduler which can make very good decisions about which task to run next. Coldplayer's resource heavy task will suspend the FAH automatically specifically because FAH has been set up to use an extremely low priority. This works extremely well for the standard uniprocessor version except in systems which have very small amounts of RAM. It works almost as well for the SMP version, but it's still under development and it is officially a "high performance client" which means you have been warned that it may have an impact on other tasks (slowing them down). Unfortunately, at this stage of development, the SMP version has bugs which prevent configuring it so that it stops folding frequently.

At one time, FAH had a true Windows screensaver version, but it was discontinued because stopping folding and restarting is something that must be done rarely, and as a general rule, screensavers are suspended rather frequently. FAH is designed to run continuously and there's a big difference between suspending a task while something else runs and stopping that task and restarting it later. The FAH developers continue to struggle with the virtual impossibility of reconciling those two concepts.

It might be possible to configure the GPU client to start when the system is idle and stop when it is no longer idle. I don't believe it has been tested to see how much work is lost if it is set up to stop/start frequently. It might work and it might not. Does anybody want to test it? I believe a scheduled task can be configured to run anything only when the machine is idle. Try it and let us know if you run into any problems which are different that the problems already being reported for the newest version in it's current state of development.
Psimon

Post by Psimon »

bruce wrote: At one time, FAH had a true Windows screensaver version, but it was discontinued because stopping folding and restarting is something that must be done rarely, and as a general rule, screensavers are suspended rather frequently. FAH is designed to run continuously and there's a big difference between suspending a task while something else runs and stopping that task and restarting it later. The FAH developers continue to struggle with the virtual impossibility of reconciling those two concepts.
I'm new to Folding@Home, so if this is a dumb idea apologies in advance ;) .

I too was hoping for a Folding@Home screensaver version (I got the latest version which is 6.23).

Instead of starting and stopping folding dependent on the screensaver, why not simply display the work being done when a screensaver becomes active? What I mean is, when you select "Display" from one of the FAH clients (I'm running both the CPU and GPU versions) by rightclicking on it in the tray, it brings up that window showing the molecule rotating, and work being done, etc. Is there any way to create a screensaver that does the same? So it doesn't affect the work in progress, just displays it.
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Post by jrweiss »

The FAH_GPU_IDLE Environment Variable for the ATI GPU client works well to reduce screen lag that is noticeable in several common scenarios. With it set to 5, the browser scroll delays I used to see have been largely eliminated.

Reducing the CPU load to 95 or 98% in the CPU or SMP clients will usually give enough "headroom" so an app can grab enough CPU time while F@H is releasing them, also eliminating perceivable delays. You may need as low as 85% for an old, slow machine (P3). As Bruce mentioned, low RAM will cause delays as the pagefile is written to disk.

As for screensavers, I believe they are largely falling out of favor, since CRT burn-in is not much of an issue any more, and monitor Suspend or Sleep modes are more often used to save electricity. I wouldn't spend a lot of time on screensaver interfaces...
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

jrweiss wrote:The FAH_GPU_IDLE Environment Variable for the ATI GPU client works well to reduce screen lag that is noticeable in several common scenarios.
This is a nVidia variable, not ATI.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Post by jrweiss »

Hmmm... Someone recommended it a while back for Core 11 in general: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11978&hilit=+FAH_GPU_IDLE+

It doesn't do anything bad, and it APPEARS to do good with ATI. Maybe it was the OS and Cat upgrades...
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

It will simply be ignored by ATI cores ... so it can't hurt, but it's useless.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Aleksey314

Post by Aleksey314 »

A question. Is there any way to set FAHControl (CPU type) so that it suspended any of its work when a specific other application is in use (namely BOINC client). If they are running simultaneously, they seem to share the CPU resources. And I want FAHControl work only when BOINC is idle, waiting for its WU to come or loading them. Thank you in advance.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

No suspending. This is by design because unlike work from other projects which are not time sensitive, FAH work units are time sensitive. Generation B work unit cannot be processed until Gen A work unit is completed. Each builds on the next.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

See https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/F ... /ticket/83
But yes, Folding@home's Work Units need to be completed in a timely manner, which is why they have bonus points awarding quick returns, and also why the units have deadlines. Still, there are some good reasons to pause processing.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Aleksey314 wrote:A question. Is there any way to set FAHControl (CPU type) so that it suspended any of its work when a specific other application is in use (namely BOINC client). If they are running simultaneously, they seem to share the CPU resources. And I want FAHControl work only when BOINC is idle, waiting for its WU to come or loading them. Thank you in advance.
Welcome to the foldingforum, Aleksey314.

If you only run FAH when BOINC is waiting for a new WU to download, FAH won't get enough resources to complete a WU within its deadline and you're efforts to run FAH will be useless. Perhaps you don't appreciate how time-sensitive FAH actually is.

In the past, I've recommended that if people want to share resources between FAH and BOINC, that they run FAH exclusively for N days, making sure to complete any WU that has been assigned and then run BOINC for M days, making sure to complete any WU that has been assigned. (Since most BOINC projects have deadlines but are not all that time-critical, you may not need to complete the WU that has been assigned since it can be finished N days later, but it is really important not to leave a FAH WU to be completed M days later.)

If that doesn't work for you, (assuming you're planning to run FAH SMP) allocate a certain number of your CPU-cores to BOINC and the remainder to FAH. Be sure to set FAH priority to "low" so it gets a fair share if there's any contention.

If neither of those work for you, decide which project you wish to support and run it exclusively (even if that's not FAH). Returning completed FAH WUs late is worse that not folding at all.
Toredon

Post by Toredon »

If I put it on only when idle, it never starts folding, just stays waiting for idle.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Toredon wrote:If I put it on only when idle, it never starts folding, just stays waiting for idle.
Welcome to Folding@Home!

You have reopened an 11 year old thread which has not had a post in 8 years. Almost all the 'facts' in it are currently wrong, some of the posters are deceased.

"Idle" is defined by the OS, not F@H. In Windows, when screen goes blank or to a screensaver, it is idle. On a Mac, there is a timer when no keyboard or mouse activity that defines idle. i do not understand the rules in Linux, I suspect they vary by Window Manager.

Since I don't know which you use, I can't comment further.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum Toredon,

Can you please post the log file? Ensure you include the first 100 lines which will inform us of what the system configuration is and what the client settings are. If you require guidance, please view this topic: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues