FAH failures

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

hedley

FAH failures

Post by hedley »

People hate to hear about failures, but I have understood that FAH looks for the most stable protein conformation, indeed the least energy required to be stable.
However, I have heard (indeed I have not read them) which functional proteins may not be the most stable.

I can catalogue this cases as "FAH failures", because FAH can not predict these structures "in vivo" or "ex vivo". These "failures" are very important, since they are pointing that some "mysterious" forces (maybe enzymes) look for this unstable shape.

I ask:
How many of these "failures" have you found?
How unstable are them?
How you can explain these "abnormalities"?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: FAH failures

Post by 7im »

Hello hedley, welcome to the folding forum.

If you read the home page, fah is looking at protein folding, and the protein mis-folding that can cause diseases. I assume these misfolded proteins are the same "failures" to which you refer. I'm rather sure the project isn't so inept as to ONLY look at the most stable configuration. But then I don't work for Stanford, so I'll leave any further comment up to Stanford to make. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

hedley wrote:I have understood that FAH looks for the most stable protein conformation, indeed the least energy required to be stable.
I think you have FAH confused with some other protein simulation projects. FAH is not looking for a single conformation. Those sites which try to predict protein shape do.

I agree with 7im. FAH's goal is to understand the process of folding, not just the final conformation. That same process is also involved in creating less stable shapes so it contributes to the scientific understanding of what those shapes are, too.

The folding process is driven by energy. If you want to unfold a protein, you can heat it up (add energy). Many FAH projects are studying the folding process as it approaches a stable shape but other FAH projects have involved the sequences of unfolding. The simulated temperature and the transfer of energy is an integral part of any FAH study.
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Post by jrweiss »

Send some of those "heat it up" WUs my way! No simulation needed -- getting to 101 today in Seattle, and no A/C! :)
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]