Large proteins

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

tati
Hardware configuration: AMD Phenom II 940 Black Edition, 4GB RAM, Ubuntu 9.10 for SMP.
AMD Athlon XP 2400, 512MB RAM, Win XP+SP3 (and some other Intel P4-2,8 PC's for "classic" folding).
AMD Athlon64 3200 "Venice", 1GB RAM, Win XP+SP3, GeForce 9500GT for GPU and classic folding.
Location: Commuter between Herrenberg/Germany and Satu Mare/Romania

Large proteins

Post by tati »

Hi everybody,
Why current studies does include any really large proteins like by CPU's?
codysluder

Re: Large proteins

Post by codysluder »

A protein with twice the number of atoms can run as much as four times longer (but often is somewhat less). FAH started ten years ago with proteins that could be run in a year or so on the cpus of that day and have moved to larger proteins that take a year or so on today's cpus. There's still plenty of room for cpus to get faster or software to work better with multiple processors and bigger proteins are inevitable, but they're something that happens gradually.

(By a year or so, I mean something like 100 Gens of a protein that takes 3 days per Gen or 40 Gens of a protein that runs 10 days. If the scientists know how many Gens a protein is going to need, they don't tell us, and they may not know.)
tati
Hardware configuration: AMD Phenom II 940 Black Edition, 4GB RAM, Ubuntu 9.10 for SMP.
AMD Athlon XP 2400, 512MB RAM, Win XP+SP3 (and some other Intel P4-2,8 PC's for "classic" folding).
AMD Athlon64 3200 "Venice", 1GB RAM, Win XP+SP3, GeForce 9500GT for GPU and classic folding.

Post by tati »

Thanks codysluder.
I thought, if a medium cpu like my Athlon xp 2400+ can solve a p2611 WU with round 127,000 atoms in ca. 4 days, then a GPU with 38 stream processors and a (theoretically) better performance like my GeF 9500GT, would solve the same WU in less than 4 days.
I know, this is typically linear thinking - usual by us humans - but this is just a simple question..
bruce

Post by bruce »

I think you missed part of what codysluder was saying. Your xp2400+ does not "solve" 127000 atoms in 4 days, it only solves one generation at a time. Each Gen is a small slice of the time it takes for the protein to fold. To "solve" a protein requires many, many sequential generations within each trajectory.
tati

Post by tati »

Thanks bruce,
I know what Runs, Clones and Genes mean.
As I wrote to codysluder, my Athlon XP solve (or for better understanding: executes) a WU of that protein in ca. 4 days.
My question is the same: why current studies for GPU does not include(yet) really large proteins like p2611, if some GPU's performs faster?
Once again: I asked "why", not "when"..
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

You would have to ask the researchers running the projects on the GPUs. It could be the software doesn't work well yet with larger proteins. It could be a hardware limitation. GPUs are very different from CPUs. Or, it could just be that the researches are looking as smaller proteins because their field of study is made up of small proteins.

I couldn't even begin to guess, one or all three, and maybe other reasons... Sorry.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

The core for the GPU and for the PS3 are restricted to implicit solvent problems. The classic and SMP clients can run either implicit or explicit solvents. (Why? I don't know, but see the previous post for some possibilities.)

My knowledge of physical chemistry is limited, but if you study the SAME protein, an implicit model is smaller, faster, and less accurate. (or, an explicit model is larger, slower, and more accurate.) Those facts may contribute to a better understanding of why the researchers have made the choices that they've made, but it's still going to be an incomplete answer unless somebody from the Pande Group responds.

I'm going to move this discussion from the GPU forum to the Science forum where they're more likely to respond.
tati

Post by tati »

Thanks to bruce and 7im,