OpenMM

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

theteofscuba
Hardware configuration: PS3, Phenom II X4, QX9775, HD 8570

OpenMM

Post by theteofscuba »

Does OpenMM entirely resolve the issue of having multi-threaded cores?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: OpenMM

Post by 7im »

No, doesn't apply to threading really, though curious what issue you are referring to...

It's more related to creating a homogenous software interface to various and diverse hardwares. From the OpenMM page...

Description: OpenMM is a library which provides tools for modern molecular modeling simulation. As a library it can be hooked into any code, allowing that code to do molecular modeling with minimal extra coding.

Moreover, OpenMM has a strong emphasis on hardware acceleration, thus providing not just a consistent API, but much greater performance than what one could get from just about any other code available.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
theteofscuba
Hardware configuration: PS3, Phenom II X4, QX9775, HD 8570

Post by theteofscuba »

I am asking about the difference between a uniprocessor and smp library that OpenMM applies to. I'm wondering if OpenMM was designed to apply to both uniprocess/smp clients, or if any MD algorithms built for OpenMM are always going to be uniprocessor for now. not that I care if it supports SMP. there is always the ability to assign cpu affinity to multiple external processes instead of a multi-threaded appraoch.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Their page does indicate that one of the long term goals is...

- hardware support for multi-core, SSE, and/or graphics processing units (GPUs)

You'd have to ask them on the exact status of this goal, although their news page might be a good indicator...

Major Milestone for OpenMM: v1.0 Released January 21, 2010
Joy Ku
We are excited to announce the release of OpenMM 1.0. OpenMM is a freely available, extensible library that enables accelerated calculations for molecular dynamics on high-performance computer architectures, such as GPU cards. This release marks a major milestone. In addition to several new features, such as the ability to specify custom bond, angle, external, and Generalized Born forces, this release includes a stable API and reference and CUDA platforms that are suitable for production use. OpenMM and tutorial examples are available for download from http://simtk.org/home/openmm.

;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.