accessing folding papers

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

chumbucket843

accessing folding papers

Post by chumbucket843 »

i would like to access this paper just to satisfy my curiosity but i cant with out paying. i thought the research you guys did was free?
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jour ... 2/abstract
i just want some in depth info on the gpu clients.

anyways, is it possible that folding enthusiasts can access these papers? you couldnt have done the research with out us. :D
k1wi

Re: accessing folding papers

Post by k1wi »

"free" is a loose term :(

Those of us in academia are lucky enough to get access through our universities etc.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Most scientific papers are published in a journal and many journals extract a copyright fee -- often for a limited time after publication. (How else would they sell their journals?) In my case, I can either buy a copy directly or I can visit the library of a nearby university which already pays for a subscription to the journal.

Stanford University does not charge for use of the information contained in the paper, however you get access to it.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Email the primary contact on the paper, they may be able to provide you a copy. Also, this paper was published last year, the "time" they wait to release freely may be over, and they simply haven't updated the papers page yet. Again, emailing them may help there too. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
RAH
Hardware configuration: 1. C2Q 8200@2880 / W7Pro64 / SMP2 / 2 GPU - GTS250/GTS450
2. C2D 6300@3600 / XPsp3 / SMP2 / 1 GPU - GT240

Post by RAH »

Do you need the whole thing?

Here is the open large synops.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... ool=pubmed
chumbucket843

Post by chumbucket843 »

RAH wrote:Do you need the whole thing?

Here is the open large synops.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... ool=pubmed
thanks, that's all i really needed to see. i have gotten tired of seeing so much misinformation on the gpu clients and that cleared things up.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Mis-information? Like what?
chumbucket843

Post by chumbucket843 »

7im wrote:Mis-information? Like what?
i see posts on forums like "ATi client is not optimized" or "nvidia wu's get a bonus". i know it sounds dumb that i care about something that's pretty inane but there are people with ATi cards that have moved to other projects like milkyway or collatz because they feel that stanford neglects their hardware.
7im

Post by 7im »

They are sadly un- or mis-informed, and are only reacting to the lower PPD from ATI cards without researching the nature of the situation, and that is unfortunate. And it sounds like people are spreading that misinformation from the looks of those thread titles.

But this is off topic for this thread, and this has has been covered at length in other threads on that topic.