Protein folding and honeybee colony collapse.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

patfla
Hardware configuration: Ideapad y550p with Nvidia Geforce GT 240M. Running Windows 7 Ultimate
64 bit. Have CentOS loaded in a second hard drive partition if this might be of
use.

Protein folding and honeybee colony collapse.

Post by patfla »

The line in the article below that caused me to make the connection (not that hard) was:

"using a new software system developed by the military for analyzing proteins, ..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/07/science/07bees.html
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Protein folding and honeybee colony collapse.

Post by 7im »

This was the key line for me...

"The Army software system... is designed to test and identify biological agents in circumstances where commanders might have no idea what sort of threat they face."

It sounds somewhat like Chromatography for proteins. It's used as an identification tool for the virus and fungus attacking the bees. Sounds different than what F@h does.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
patfla
Hardware configuration: Ideapad y550p with Nvidia Geforce GT 240M. Running Windows 7 Ultimate
64 bit. Have CentOS loaded in a second hard drive partition if this might be of
use.

Post by patfla »

7im wrote:This was the key line for me...

"The Army software system... is designed to test and identify biological agents in circumstances where commanders might have no idea what sort of threat they face."

It sounds somewhat like Chromatography for proteins. It's used as an identification tool for the virus and fungus attacking the bees. Sounds different than what F@h does.
Thanx 7im. Sounds to me like your guess is a better one (and more informed) than my own.

Still, I wonder how many different places are doing cutting-edge protein folding work and to what extent they're all aware of what the others are doing? In physics, arxiv.org in principle proposes that researchers are better informed of what's going on with other researchers. In principle.
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

There are many areas of protein research which do not relate to folding and this is one of them. The army is not doing folding work. They're looking for biological agents that can kill.

Whether this leads to a potent agent for chemical warfare (which is outlawed by various international agreements) or to an antidote for such an agent if it exists depends on many factors, but not on learning how and why proteins misfold.