Proteins and Autism Article

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

rbpeake
Hardware configuration: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor E8500, dual 3.16GHz cores, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB (45nm); 4096MB Corsair™ XMS2 DDR2-800 RAM; 256MB eVGA™ NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600 GT Video Card

Proteins and Autism Article

Post by rbpeake »

An interesting read...

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2 ... tml?ref=hp
MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

Re: Proteins and Autism Article

Post by MtM »

From the article
Two proteins called SHANK and TSC1, which are involved in very different autism-related syndromes that are not thought to be related, proved to be connected by 21 other proteins. Additionally, when the researchers checked their network against the DNA of patients with nonsyndromic, or "stand-alone," autism, they found abnormalities involving three of the network genes. Both findings suggest that different types of autism may share a common pathway even when they occur in distinct syndromes or alone—something that wasn't clear just from looking at the genes
I was about to say there isn't much news in that article, untill this paragraph. I'm curious about the usefulness in practical sense.
"Interactomes like this one make the whole debate of genes versus the environment a lot more sophisticated," adds Vidal, who was not involved in the current study and who mapped a network involved in breast cancer susceptibility in 2007. "In understanding how genes lead to disease, interactomes give us the best of both worlds."
This is nice, but afaik environment was already pretty much ruled out.

Edit ( very very late :oops: )

I made this post because of personal fear, not because it's actually 100%. I am diagnosed with ASD but no narrowed down diagnosis has been made yet, my son who is 4 is also tested and shows signs potentially indication an autism spectrum disorder but not enough to be classified as such. My fear is that my disorder might contribute to my son to developing (into?) a bap ( broader autism phenotype ). So actually, yes I'm very aware that there can be environmental influences, and it scares the heck out of me. I was hoping someone would actually say I was right and environmental influences are to be neglected. Sorry for editing this in so late, I been considering making this edit since I made the post but as I hope everyone will understand, admitting in public my fear of possibly being a negative factor in my son's development ( in such manner that it could lead to at least a bap classification ) takes courage I lacked.