New Invention Unravels Mystery of Protein Folding

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

b1llyb0y

New Invention Unravels Mystery of Protein Folding

Post by b1llyb0y »

Hi all,

I came across this a little while ago, and was wandering whether the FAH team have heard about it or even contacted the inventor(s)? or even If it would be useful for FAH ..

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 131357.htm
verlyol
Hardware configuration: system 1: AMD FX6300 on Ubuntu 17.04 LTS

Re: New Invention Unravels Mystery of Protein Folding

Post by verlyol »

Yes it would be interresting to have the advice of researchers from the Pande group about this article !

I dedicate my participation to my grandmother died in 1992 because of Parkinson's disease
and to my friend Benoit died of leukemia February 18 2012 ...he was 40 years old.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Although it may sound like it solves the same problem that FAH is studying, they're predicting the final shape, not developing an understanding of the PROCESS of reaching that final shape. Although it's somewhat related, it's an entirely different scientific goal. For example, the protein that causes Alzheimer's disease is a natural protein in the brain and when it is in the normal shape, there is no disease. When it folds to a somewhat different shape, the disease occur.

I'm not sure if this discovery will predict both final shapes, but even if it does, it will not answer the fundamental question of WHY the protein sometimes folds to the first shape and WHY it sometimes folds to the second shape.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Going one step further, since FAH may figure out the WHY part of it going one way or another, it's a relatively small step to then figure out the prevention of the WHY. (Actually, it's a huge step in research terms, but we knew that already.)

Additionally, the prevention or treatment might be most effective while the protein is still in the process of mis-folding, not at the final misfolded shape. Knowing the end shape is helpful, but only a small part of the knowledge needed to treat or cure diseases effectively.

And fah has already been doing this for years using different methods. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
prokaryote

Post by prokaryote »

Actually, it seems that the intermediate shapes during the folding process is also highlighted by the invention, hence the interest to the F@H project.

"Because the invention also determines possible intermediate states in the protein folding process, it provides a clearer picture and could open doors to designing new medicines for neurodegenerative diseases that are caused by incorrectly folded proteins.

Any comment from the Pande Group?

Thanks,
-P
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

I know the inventor pretty well and I've chatted with him about this. This method (as far as I know) has never been tested on protein folding (you can get a patent on an idea without a demonstration that it works), so we've been talking to him to see about doing some tests so we can see how it compares with our methods.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
prokaryote

Post by prokaryote »

Thanks Prof. Pande!

I hope something of use comes of this. Fold on!

-P