Clarification for Copernicus

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Jonathan

Clarification for Copernicus

Post by Jonathan »

On the site (http://copernicus-computing.org/) it says "we observe structures 0.6Å from the native state within 30h" and "achieve sufficient sampling to predict the native state without a priori knowledge after 80-90h".

Which type and how many processors did you guys use to get those types of results?
codysluder

Re: Clarification for Copernicus

Post by codysluder »

Copernicus and FAH are not trying to solve the same problem. FAH's objective is not about predicting the native state. It's one outcome of FAH, but it's incidental to FAH's main objective which is understanding the entire folding process. Copernicus can predict the most common folding endpoint for of the Alzheimer's protein very quickly but that doesn't determine why some small percentage of proteins fold into another state. FAH needs to understand those mis-folded proteins because they are related to the causes of the disease.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

Jonathan, I'm sure if you used Google to search for the paper on Copernicus you could find it and read about it. It has been my experience that scientific publications from the Pande Group have been very informative and fascinating. That would be my recommendation. This search may be a start.

F@h is focused on understanding protein folding, which as codysluder has noted and as further explained here is very much related to disease research. This is F@h's strength and what it focuses on. To a lesser degree it also performs protein structure prediction. I've read about this here and here, although there are some scientific publications that mention it.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Knowing the "native state" of an arbitrary protein is useful information. To that end, nobody should suggest that structure prediction is unimportant. There are regular contests between scientists who are working on that problem. (If you're interested, you can google for "CASP") FAH has participated in those contests but it's not FAH's primary goal, so the fact that somebody does it better/faster doesn't negate FAH's research.

There's even a computer game that lets you try to fold proteins manually, with the goal being something closer to the native state than other people have achieved.
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/zora ... t-2011.pdf
FAH would be interested in understanding the different thought process that the contestants used to get the better scores.

I know nothing about Copernicus but it appears to be a private company seeking patents and proprietary protection for their work rather than a University doing public funded research with the goal of placing their results in the public domain. (If I'm wrong about that, I apologize.) Some research is designed to cooperatively advance science (public research) and other research that seeks to maximize the profits of a private company (private research). Both are important, but personally, I choose to donate to publicly funded research.

By and large, scientists are both cooperative with each other and competitive with each other. Since they're solving different aspects of a bigger problem, Pande Labs and Baker Labs (Foldit and Rosetta) use each others results as the basis of new studies.
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

A clarification: Copernicus is an open source software from 3 academic labs (Lindahl, Kasson, Pande labs). We're releasing it at Supercomputing 2011. In a sound bite, it's "Folding@home for supercomputers", but not for contributing time to FAH as much as to take all of the scientific methodological advances in FAH's backend and bring it to other researchers.

We have a paper on our FAH web site that describes the first results. My hope is that this will lead to an even broader application of FAH's methodology. While the paper concentrates on structure prediction as a demo application, one can do a lot more with it.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Thanks for all the responses. Very interesting, even though I knew it, I am sure others learned something though, so not a waste. I am no expert (just a second year chem student) but from what I am looking up it seems to me I would need the native state, which is why I am interested in this.

To Jesse_V: I tried looking for a paper related to it but it just repeats the same thing on the home (and only) page of the website.

To bruce: if it is a private company than why is it on f@h results and at the end of the site states: "Coming soon: The first public release of Copernicus."Code = strike-though

Code: Select all

Now that I think about it..... public does not mean free :(

Well there goes my hopes :P I guess it is spartan student for me -__-
To Dr.Pande: Thank you for your response, can't wait to see it. Playing with spartan, pymol, openMM, and soon Copernicus :)
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

We'll release the paper once SC'11 is over (it's embargoed until then).
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Chair, Biophysics
Stanford University
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

VijayPande wrote:We'll release the paper once SC'11 is over (it's embargoed until then).
Thanks. Does "SC'11" mean http://sc11.supercomputing.org/? I'm guessing it stands for "SuperComputing 2011" or am I overthinking something again?
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

You got it right :)
Tobit

Post by Tobit »

Jesse_V wrote:
VijayPande wrote:Thanks. Does "SC'11" mean http://sc11.supercomputing.org/? I'm guessing it stands for "SuperComputing 2011" or am I overthinking something again?
You are correct, many papers/results from events such as this are embargoed for a year.
gwildperson

Post by gwildperson »

Tobit wrote:many papers/results from events such as this are embargoed for a year.
That's not what he said.
VijayPande wrote:We'll release the paper once SC'11 is over (it's embargoed until then).
SC11 is Nov 14-17, and the paper is embargoed until it has been presented or published or something like that, so I think you should be able to get it by Nov 18.
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

Yes, the paper will be published by Nov 18, 2011.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Chair, Biophysics
Stanford University