A plea for more cancer projects

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Jonazz

A plea for more cancer projects

Post by Jonazz »

Hello fellow folders and members of the Pande Group.

Folding@Home is quite the program. It has been running for 11 years now (I'm an active folder for a little over 2 years) and has done some marvelous things in my opinion. We can only imagine what will be possible in the next 11 years.

Many of you reading will probably agree with me that the most of us are folding to cure cancer (and possibly some other diseases). I know there is a big community of anti-Huntington/Alzheimer folders (atlasfolder for one). Still, most of us think cancer is the primary disease which should be tackled.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not asking to suddenly focus most of your attention on cancer. I am actually for research into a wide variety of diseases and was not 'angry' because all Bigadv and most SMP projects relate to viral diseases. I actually encourage the PG to tackle a wider variety of diseases, but that is a different discussion.

Now, back to cancer. At this moment, I only know one active cancer related project (7600). The latest paper about cancer/p53 was released in 2006, and currently there are no projects relating to this protein to my knowledge. So I ask, together with many of my fellow folders, to develop more projects tackling cancer. It is one of the most deadly diseases in this world, and many of us have lost friends and family members to this awful disease. I realize cancer is not one disease but rather a group of diseases, so we would all understand that not all of these projects can target multiple cancers at once.
This may not be the best reason, but doing active research into cancer could be great publicity for the F@H and lure more folders.

I hope you will listen to my plea :) and don't forget, fold on!
Last edited by Jonazz on Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magic Michael
Hardware configuration: 1. 2x E5520 @2.27 GHz with 6x 4GB Reg ECC RAM and 1x Geforce GTX 660ti. Windoze -smp 12 and -gpu
2. 2x E5620 @2.53 GHz 16GB Reg ECC RAM. Debian Linux with -smp 16
3. the occasional borg

Re: A plea for more cancer projects

Post by Magic Michael »

I second that plea. Thanks JonazzDJ for bringing it up.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

I understand that Alzheimers and viruses have some interesting aspects that work well with F@h. But I would argue that cancer is more devestating than Alzheimer's, mostly because its horrible disease that can be deadly to children. I mean all diseases are bad, but when one can slowly destroy a child before they've had a chance to enjoy life and have children. Even if they recover, it can scar them mentally and physically for life. Current treatments are really imprecise, and technologies that are more targetted such as CyberKnife aren't available for children. Believe me, my 11-year-old sister ran out of options and we were essentially presented with end of life options. We found some alternative methods that extended her life by at least a year, but it was not enough. Death by cancer is even more horrible than death by Alzheimers, because your completely aware of your pain and conditions, and can remember everything. I've learned about F@h's remarkable progress in cancer and how it produced papers that were the first cancer-related works from a DC project using results that were previously unobtainable, but considering that more than half of all known cancers result from a misfolding of p53, I urge you to launch more cancer projects. Think of the impact to a donor and their friends if they saw that they were working on cancer-related proteins.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

Post by MtM »

I plus one this thread.
verlyol
Hardware configuration: system 1: AMD FX6300 on Ubuntu 17.04 LTS

Post by verlyol »

+1
I also agree with that, more projects with a cancer target is a good idea !
I am currently supporting a close friend who suffers from a myeloblastic leukemia resistant to conventional treatment. See a man 39 years
father of two children (6 and 3 years) probably condemned, is very difficult (Jesse_V and MtM know what I mean because they have answered one of my post with great kindness).

I dedicate my participation to my grandmother died in 1992 because of Parkinson's disease
and to my friend Benoit died of leukemia February 18 2012 ...he was 40 years old.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

I'm glad to see more people are supporting this idea! :)
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

Sorry if I'm 3 months late, just came across this thread, and I can't agree more! +1 to this thread. My primary reason for folding is to contribute to cancer research (although I also strongly support research on Alzheimer's, Huntington's, etc.), and I can't help but feel that it hasn't been given enough priority by PG.
At this moment, I only know one active cancer related project (7600)
Where can I find this info? I'd like to know which disease my rig is researching on :D
Meh_Lay_Lay

Post by Meh_Lay_Lay »

iceman1992 wrote:Where can I find this info? I'd like to know which disease my rig is researching on :D
If you're using the v7 client, make sure it is set to "advanced" or "expert". Then press the "preferences" button, which is the second one on the top. Tick the third box, "Show Project Info in Advanced" and press save. Then there should be a box on the bottom of the client showing you some information on the project that you are folding and have selected.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

Meh_Lay_Lay wrote:
iceman1992 wrote:Where can I find this info? I'd like to know which disease my rig is researching on :D
If you're using the v7 client, make sure it is set to "advanced" or "expert". Then press the "preferences" button, which is the second one on the top. Tick the third box, "Show Project Info in Advanced" and press save. Then there should be a box on the bottom of the client showing you some information on the project that you are folding and have selected.
Project descriptions are shown in Novice mode as well. You can also set that control from Novice mode as well, no need to go to Advanced/Expert. They should be displayed by default anyway.

BTW, I see no real reason why general biochemical research can't apply to studies of disease-relevant proteins. So even if the specific project doesn't seem to be focused on diseases, the research can be used elsewhere. That being said, I'd really like to see more of a focus on cancer projects. According to the Diseases FAQ, Lillian Chong, Del Lucent, and Andrej Sali's lab seem to be the ones that have been leading the way in the cancer research.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

We have just started a cancer-related project in house. While it's not on FAH just yet (we are doing a pilot project), there's a good chance it will make its way to FAH if the pilot works out well.
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
Leonardo
Hardware configuration: GPU slots on home-built, purpose-built PCs.

Post by Leonardo »

Great news!
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

VijayPande wrote:We have just started a cancer-related project in house. While it's not on FAH just yet (we are doing a pilot project), there's a good chance it will make its way to FAH if the pilot works out well.
Glad to hear that :D
bruce

Post by bruce »

At this moment, I only know one active cancer related project (7600)
I don't know if this: (Projects 8041 and 8042) is the one Dr. Pande is referring to or if there are more expected soon.
VijayPande wrote:We have just started a cancer-related project in house. While it's not on FAH just yet (we are doing a pilot project), there's a good chance it will make its way to FAH if the pilot works out well.
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

bruce wrote:I don't know if this: (Projects 8041 and 8042) is the one Dr. Pande is referring to or if there are more expected soon.
Are those projects 8041 and 8042 active right now? Hopefully many more will come.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

iceman1992 wrote:
bruce wrote:I don't know if this: (Projects 8041 and 8042) is the one Dr. Pande is referring to or if there are more expected soon.
Are those projects 8041 and 8042 active right now? Hopefully many more will come.
They are on psummary, which is a list of currently running projects.