Questions about FAH simulation methods (MSMs)

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Questions about FAH simulation methods (MSMs)

Post by Jesse_V »

I have several questions about F@h's simulation methods (Markov state models). I think I have a general understanding of how they work, but for various reasons I'd like to learn a bit more. I'm hoping someone could provide some insights.
  • How are the local minima in the energy landscape from which the simulations are started found? Why is this not computationally difficult?
  • In what way do MSM's explore the protein's phase space differently than normal simulation techniques which don't avoid simulating the "waiting" inside the energy minima?
  • How do you know that the simulation will reach a minima, and how is the simulation direction chosen?
  • Is this approach adequate for exploring the protein's phase space? If it does such a thorough job and gives you so much conformation and kinetic information why are really long simulations so important? Dr. Pande has said several times that specialized systems like Anton would be useful to F@h and I'm just wondering why because it only performs a few long simulations.
  • I've read that protein's don't always stay in their folded shape. Does F@h simulate this refolding, and how does that work with MSMs?
I'm still trying to figure out how to access the relevant publications outside of a university network. In the meantime, I'm hoping someone can help me understand these things further. I understand that these are technical questions. If you know some of the answers, I'd sure appreciate it, even if it's easiest for you to use technical terms if need be. Thanks. :)
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Re: Questions about FAH simulation methods (MSMs)

Post by VijayPande »

Check out this paper – it should answer these sorts of questions and is now available for free (see link below).

Everything you wanted to know about Markov State Models but were afraid to ask.
Pande VS, Beauchamp K, Bowman GR.
Program in Biophysics, Stanford University, USA. pande@stanford.edu

Abstract
Simulating protein folding has been a challenging problem for decades due to the long timescales involved (compared with what is possible to simulate) and the challenges of gaining insight from the complex nature of the resulting simulation data. Markov State Models (MSMs) present a means to tackle both of these challenges, yielding simulations on experimentally relevant timescales, statistical significance, and coarse grained representations that are readily humanly understandable. Here, we review this method with the intended audience of non-experts, in order to introduce the method to a broader audience. We review the motivations, methods, and caveats of MSMs, as well as some recent highlights of applications of the method. We conclude by discussing how this approach is part of a paradigm shift in how one uses simulations, away from anecdotal single-trajectory approaches to a more comprehensive statistical approach.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20570730
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

VijayPande wrote:Check out this paper – it should answer these sorts of questions and is now available for free (see link below). ...
Thanks. Glad to see that it's not super technical and I think I can read it pretty well. :D
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Updated paper 85 with link to free pub.

Also curious about this statement, especially when you are attending a university... "I'm still trying to figure out how to access the relevant publications outside of a university network."

Ironic title... :lol:

Jesse, have you seen this information about locating scientific publications? Resources for Finding and Accessing Scientific Papers It includes several alternate methods for finding free copies of pubs.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.