Huntington's Disease

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Huntington's Disease

Postby HuntWarrior » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:06 am

Dear all,

It is a long time a go that there was a specific project for our disease.

Ofcourse we keep folding as much as possible.

I learned there is a protein called HAPP32, any chance this will be investigated?

Is it fair to assume, that the nowadays projects will benifit HD aswell ?

If possible, I would like to have some "proof" to stimulate HD folders in the Netherlands evenmore.

Looking forward to replies.

Best Regards

Hans van der Leer (Team 46113) :roll: :roll:
Folding for a cure for Huntington's Disease! Team 46113 since 2004 pls look at http://en.hdbuzz.net/ so far in 13 languages and http://hdyo.org in English, Spanish and German so far, interperters are welcome!
User avatar
HuntWarrior
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:28 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Huntington's Disease

Postby VijayPande » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:08 pm

We have strong interest in HD (right behind our primary efforts in Alzheimer's Disease). It turns out that there are enough similarities between AD and HD that we can share methodology from AD to HD. We have 2 papers on HD which we're working on to submit soon (i.e. within the next few months) for peer review.
User avatar
VijayPande
Pande Group Member
 
Posts: 2651
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:25 am
Location: Stanford

Re: Huntington's Disease

Postby science man » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:43 am

HuntWarrior wrote:Dear all,

It is a long time a go that there was a specific project for our disease.

Ofcourse we keep folding as much as possible.

I learned there is a protein called HAPP32, any chance this will be investigated?

Is it fair to assume, that the nowadays projects will benifit HD aswell ?

If possible, I would like to have some "proof" to stimulate HD folders in the Netherlands evenmore.

Looking forward to replies.

Best Regards

Hans van der Leer (Team 46113) :roll: :roll:

HuntWarriar relax. I'm sure fah is working on cures for all diseases and cancers know to man like VijaryPande said I quote
We have strong interest in HD (right behind our primary efforts in Alzheimer's Disease). It turns out that there are enough similarities between AD and HD that we can share methodology from AD to HD. We have 2 papers on HD which we're working on to submit soon (i.e. within the next few months) for peer review.
So just keep running your client. :)
science man
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:45 pm

Re: Huntington's Disease

Postby alancabler » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:33 pm

So much to learn, so little processing power... build another rig and get your friends on board!
Facts are not truth. Facts are merely facets of the shining diamond of truth.
alancabler
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:45 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Huntington's Disease

Postby HuntWarrior » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:19 pm

Vijay please read,

alancabler wrote:So much to learn, so little processing power... build another rig and get your friends on board!


Our families are dedicated allright, our team consisted of 117 members, who die to hear something possitive out of folding in general but specificly for HD ofcourse.
At the moment only 17 teammenber are actively folding, that brought us to team position 856 out of almost 14000, not to bad.
It is not only about demotivation because of lack of info, we are motivated allright but the bit of stimulating news I gave them after starting this topic needs follow up.
They are wondering if i was telling tales........or what is going on.
I know it all takes time for a cure, but info gives hope aswell.
Beside all that, HD families usualy are more short of cash than average, so they want to invest their little money in something they can believe in.
Please read back the topic from post 1.

I invested allright Alancabler: Q6600, HD 4870 at 3.6GHZ

If my cashflow was good enough, there would be more!

The electricitybill for 24/7 folding is hard enough to afford for me, not being able to work.

Happy with the increase the GPU client gives to almost 3PFLP

Hope it all pay's off one day (will stay dedicated for life or as long as neccessary) :roll: :roll: :)
Last edited by HuntWarrior on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
HuntWarrior
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:28 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Huntington's Disease

Postby Rapt0r » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:53 pm

HuntWarrior wrote:Vijay please read,

alancabler wrote:So much to learn, so little processing power... build another rig and get your friends on board!


Our families are dedicated allright, our team consisted of 117 members, who die to hear something possitive out of folding in general but specificly for HD ofcourse.
At the moment only 17 teammenber are actively folding, that brought us to team position 856 out of almost 14000, not to bad.
It is not only about demotivation because of lack of info, we are motivated allright but the bit of stimulating news I gave them after starting this topic needs follow up.
They are wondering if i was telling tales........or what is going on.
I know it all takes time for a cure, but info gives hope aswell.
Beside all that, HD families usualy are more short of cash than average, so they want to invest their little money in something they can believe in.
Please read back the topic from post 1.

I invested allright Alancabler: Q6600, HD 4870 at 3.6GHZ

If my cashflow was good enough, there would be more!

The electricitybill for 24/7 folding is hard enough to afford for me, not being able to work.

Happy with the increase the GPU client gives to almost 3TFLP

Hope it all pay's off one day (will stay dedicated for life or as long as neccessary) :roll: :roll: :)


I am a fan of AMD, but the Client-Core for Nvidia-GPU's is getting more work done at this time.
If you bougth your rig only for folding you missed to buy the right Hardware.
And ff you have a empty pcie x16 slot left right now you can bye a GT 256 or 512 MB for a little money to gain ~5000 ppd more.

But he is generaly right, we need more active folders. So much are inactive! Maybe they don't have the money to pay their electricity-bill?
Rapt0r
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:56 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Huntington's Disease

Postby HuntWarrior » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:33 pm

More or less Offtopic

Hi Rapt0r,

My Rigg is a year old and modified here and there, folding for about 3 years 24/7.

Thanks for your tip, scoring points is important .

MORE POINTS IS INDEED MORE SCIENCE!

More projectinfo, gives more motivation to the inactive folders!!

More science info,more info whats being done with results and by whom and so on.

Preferrably in not to much "scienced language" ......

AMD/ATI will come with more suitable drivers to continue the folding "battle"

I thought Nvidia uses a little more watts/money ?
User avatar
HuntWarrior
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:28 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Huntington's Disease

Postby Rapt0r » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:34 pm

HuntWarrior wrote:More or less Offtopic

Hi Rapt0r,

My Rigg is a year old and modified here and there, folding for about 3 years 24/7.

Thanks for your tip, scoring points is important .

MORE POINTS IS INDEED MORE SCIENCE!

More projectinfo, gives more motivation to the inactive folders!!

More science info,more info whats being done with results and by whom and so on.

Preferrably in not to much "scienced language" ......

AMD/ATI will come with more suitable drivers to continue the folding "battle"

I thought Nvidia uses a little more watts/money ?


So that's easy to say.
I think AMD/ATI in their current financial state, isn't at the position to push the resources for a evoling development in GPU2 ATI Client.
Folding@home isn't so much important as Endusermarket-Sells. The Drivers for Streamcompution like AMD called this, is so unimportant at the moment you cannot even visualize.
1,189 milliard euros loss. Intel has more win as amd loss. So believe me, they don't waste any breath for folding in such a hard time like now.
Rapt0r
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:56 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Huntington's Disease

Postby HuntWarrior » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:22 pm

Sorry Rapt0r,

The intention of this story was information=motivation.
User avatar
HuntWarrior
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:28 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Huntington's Disease

Postby Rapt0r » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:08 pm

HuntWarrior wrote:Sorry Rapt0r,

The intention of this story was information=motivation.


I agree.
Rapt0r
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:56 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Huntington's Disease

Postby HuntWarrior » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:15 pm

I am translating the main and rest of the website info in Dutch at the moment, so hopefully we'll get a gain in Dutch folders in general and maybe for our team: 46113 ? :?:
User avatar
HuntWarrior
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:28 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Huntington's Disease

Postby Kakao » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:13 pm

HuntWarrior congratulations. Don't worry if you can't buy and support more hardware. I think you are contributing more translating the site than if you were to build a small farm. Keeping updated to support your team is also great contribution.
User avatar
Kakao
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:52 pm
Location: Brasília, Brazil

Re: Huntington's Disease

Postby nwkelley » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:30 pm

Hi HuntWarrior,
yes as vijay has mentioned we have a paper out for review right now actually, some work i had done with xuhui and some experimental collaborators, and there will shortly be a second paper submitted. I will make a forum post when it is due to be published! (as you know it can be a length process however ;)
-nick

PS what was it specifically that you had recently read concerning HAPP32?
User avatar
nwkelley
Pande Group Member
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 9:43 pm

Re: Huntington's Disease

Postby HuntWarrior » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:47 pm

Hi kakao,

Thanks for the compliments, you are right the team spirit is nice but it is the qualtity and science delivered what counts!

Hi Nick,

I learned about Happ32 from some of your guys (Dell Lucent??) on the former forum, would appreciate it very much to hear, when the papers are finished.
It would be a good way to stimulate Dutch HD families to fold even more.
To my idea it is the Huntington's Accosiated Protein also know as Huntingtin ??? (HT) am I right ?

Hans
User avatar
HuntWarrior
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:28 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Huntington's Disease

Postby DaveHand » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:41 pm

Looking forward to some good news on this disease too.

But until then, I will be very happy to read (and try to understand) the results of any related FAH projects.


Thanks.
DaveHand
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:56 am
Location: Hastings, England

Next

Return to The Science of FAH -- questions/answers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron