Possible cure for cancer found at Stanford?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Bleeder

Possible cure for cancer found at Stanford?

Post by Bleeder »

Here is a New York Post article about a possible cure for all types of cancers. It states that researchers at Stanford have found a drug that blocks a protein called CD47 that cancer cells use to basically hide from the bodies immune system.

I'm wondering if Folding@Home had anything to do with this finding. If so, and if this actually does work then all I can say is wow... just wow. It would be truly amazing if this was a cure and it was found because of all the work this distributed computing group has done. :D

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/internatio ... S848cSzqbP
SodaAnt

Re: Possible cure for cancer found at Stanford?

Post by SodaAnt »

I don't think it had anything to do with this discovery.

I'd also like to point out the sensationalism going on in the media here, I don't think this is a "holy grail" for cancer, or a full blown cure. It still has a long way to go before it can be used in humans, but it has shown promising initial trials.
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

Yeah, my first reaction to the article was "this hyperbole seems a little premature". But that's the media for you.

Hopefully it's an improvement, maybe F@H can help in understanding the mechanics of what's going on with the antibody, but until it's gone through human testing and been proven then we can start counting our chickens.
Grendel
Hardware configuration: Q6600, Q9560 + GTX 660, i7-3770K + GTX 760

Post by Grendel »

Definately remarkable, but it needs more research: http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2 ... umors.html
Stonecold

Post by Stonecold »

SodaAnt wrote:I'd also like to point out the sensationalism going on in the media here, I don't think this is a "holy grail" for cancer, or a full blown cure. It still has a long way to go before it can be used in humans, but it has shown promising initial trials.
This is exactly what it is. Saying "cure for cancer" is like saying "ending world hunger". Cancer is a huge, overreaching catagory for a certain type of disease, but it is so varied that a chemical that can "cure" one cancer is most likely going to be completely useless or another kind of cancer.

Just look at penicillin. It was hailed as the cure for all bacterial disease, but just look at where we are now.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

And there are multiple types of cancer, and many factors and difficult molecular processes that can lead to "cancer" which is indeed a very broad term. As SodaAnt and k1wi said, the media tends to exaggerate things, and this is why I like to find the original peer-reviewed source if at all possible. Honestly, the discoveries announced in scientific journals can be just as exciting, if not more so, than than announcements from the media, because journal articles are peer-reviewed and tend to concentrate on facts and data. Thus, any exciting news there is news that's worth getting excited about. :)
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.