FAH and ALS

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RMouse

FAH and ALS

Post by RMouse »

Several years ago a major discovery was made by an ALS researcher at Northwestern University. It was discovered that the disease ALS was caused by a protein that was no longer controlled by the bodies regulation. This protein, whose name I cannot recall, is no longer marked for destruction and begins to pile up inside the nervous system, causing motor neuron damage. Has FAH joined in on any of this protein work? Has any FAH work be sited by these researchers working on a cure for ALS?

It seems that this massive breakthrough should be able to move forward progress on stopping this terrible, life wasting disease.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: FAH and ALS

Post by 7im »

How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
RMouse

Post by RMouse »

Hmm....nothing on ALS in there.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

It could be possible that studies done here on F@H could be used in ALS since some project results can be used in a wide range of diseases. However, I was able to find a reference to ALS:
This is a central question of Folding@home and directly relates to our study of protein folding and misfolding, as it is related to misfolding-related diseases such as Alzheimer’s, ALS, and Huntington’s disease.
Source -> http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/#ntoc55

If there wasn't any ALS specific projects, then there might be the "generic" ones which can be used in different diseases.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
bruce

Post by bruce »

The question which neither of us can answer is whether the ALS protein regulation process has anything to do with how a protein folds. FAH has done, and will continue to do, significant research in how the folding process relates to disease but that tends to divide diseases into two categories and it's not clear which category ALS falls into.
RMouse

Post by RMouse »

bruce wrote:The question which neither of us can answer is whether the ALS protein regulation process has anything to do with how a protein folds. FAH has done, and will continue to do, significant research in how the folding process relates to disease but that tends to divide diseases into two categories and it's not clear which category ALS falls into.
OK. I am sure someone will answer these questions in the future!
Peter_Gawrik

Post by Peter_Gawrik »

Hi! RMouse!

Feinberg scientists found the cause of ALS by discovering a protein, ubiquilin2, whose critical job is to recycle damaged or misfolded proteins in motor and cortical neurons and shuttle them off to be reprocessed.

In people with ALS, Feinberg researchers found ubiquilin2 isn't doing its job. As a result, the damaged proteins and ubiquilin2 loiter and accumulate in the motor neurons in the spinal cord and cortical and hippocampal neurons in the brain. The protein accumulations resemble twisted skeins of yarn – characteristic of ALS – and cause the degeneration of the neurons.

Researchers found ubiquilin2 in these skein-like accumulations in the spinal cords of ALS cases and in the brains of ALS/dementia cases.

The scientists also discovered mutations in ubiquilin2 in patients with familial ALS and familial ALS/dementia. But the skein-like accumulations were present in people's brains and spinal cords in all forms of ALS and ALS/dementia, whether or not they had the gene mutation.

Source: http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/ne ... rough.html

To Admins, please: Do research in the F@H of this trend?
In memory of my friend Galina.