A Central Database Of Completed Projects

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

foldinguser12

A Central Database Of Completed Projects

Post by foldinguser12 »

I was reading an article about a UBC study recently (about the loss of data from surveys) and it made me ask the question: Is there any way to access the data ( Completed WU ) that the network has created? Is it stored in a central location? Is it just given to the scientists and then forgotten and possibly *gasp* deleted? :e?:

Also another question, just for curiosity, what type of file type is the data stored in?

Below is some of my suggestions for how the data could be made available for public "use". (This is assuming it already isn't or that there isn't some legal reason why it can't be public. I was jovial when writing this, so take it that way. :biggrin: feel free to point out any flaws in my suggestions. :biggrin:
My own opinion is that it should be available to the "public" because the data was created by the public. I have a few suggestions for this but I do not actually know how large the data is so it is difficult to speculate on much. The first idea would be as downloads (each protein its own file) on a server. This may not work because there may be a high number of downloads using a large amount of bandwidth and requiring a large server infrastructure. My second idea is that the data for each protein could be stored on a server with a limited bandwidth cap and available as a torrent download. This would put less strain on any server and because there would always be at least one server with the torrent seed the torrent would never be unavailable.

Also, if I'm just blind and can't find it even though it's available, feel free to get mad for wasting your time. :e)
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Re: A Central Database Of Completed Projects

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum foldinguser12,

In short, the analyzed data is stored and is in the PB range (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24750). I do believe that the data can be requested from Stanford if you are a researcher who is researching some similar proteins, etc.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
bruce

Post by bruce »

Welcome to foldingforum.org, foldinguser12.

There are many technical problems with making multiple PBs of data available for download. (Follow PantherX's link to Kasson's post). Though the data may be officially available, I'd think you'd have to make special arrangements for a rational way to transfer the data to wherever you could store it.

The website does have a list of scientific papers which have been accepted for publication. You'd probably learn more by reading those papers than obtaining the raw data -- unless you want to replicate (and extend) some of the analysis that has already been done.
foldinguser12

Post by foldinguser12 »

Thanks for your quick and helpful replies :)
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

We've been looking into different ways to make this available. I think our work with SDR will be the ultimate way to distribute the data. Here's the link
http://library.stanford.edu/blogs/digit ... oldinghome
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

Just curious, how much data is there?