Can/should FAH help with drug screening?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Can/should FAH help with drug screening?

Post by bruce »

Is there any overlap between Folding in-silico and drug screening In-Silico?
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: Can/should FAH help with drug screening?

Post by Jesse_V »

I've long considers drug screening one of F@h's greatest potentials or uses, and I was under the impression that it was used at least in a small degree for this purpose. F@h is a tremendously powerful computational resource, and it's likely far cheaper to ensure that your drug candidate works in a simulation than it is to go through all the hassle, cost, and regulations of testing it live. The parallel nature also makes it faster to test many drug candidates at once, rather than testing them one at a time.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
JimF

Re: Can/should FAH help with drug screening?

Post by JimF »

AutoDock and Vina are the type of thing they do on BOINC (World Community Grid, among others), where the evaluations are more or less independent of each other. I was under the impression that the highly structured and sequential nature of the Folding work necessitated quite a different approach. I don't know that Folding has anything in particular to offer them, and vice-versa. They seem to be two different things.