ASIC-Based Folding

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

VectorCalculus

ASIC-Based Folding

Post by VectorCalculus »

I was wondering about possible future implementation of a folding client for ASIC-machines, as they are much faster at processing the math problems used in cryptocurrency mining than traditional GPU/CPU based solutions. A lot of the calculations encompassed therein are based on floating-point math, just like FAH. Because of all of this, I was curious as to whether or not such machines would provide a noticeable increment to the performance of the FAH network were they to be incorporated in the future. So, the question is, would they? And also, would the usage of such nascent technology be considered?
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: ASIC-Based Folding

Post by toTOW »

The maths behind cryptocurrencies is pretty simple, repetitive and predictable : it's always the same algorithms, with no variability in the amount of data processed.

In FAH, the algorithms are much more complex, and inputs are variable (different size of proteins, different kind of atoms or forces, ...), so building ans ASIC would cost a lot of money and time, and its lifetime would be rather limited as new techniques often appear in molecular design ...

And don't forget that the market for Folding ASIC would be rather limited, so the cost would split across limited market, that would make it hard to get competitive solutions.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Still there is https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_(computer); based on custom ASICs. but agree: that's expensive and beyond our scope (how many PPD that monster would bring?)
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

How about a FPGA? Not so fast like ASIC but can load any hardware code.
It would load a fah core and project or unit which was compiled for fpga.
When fah core or project or unit changes then the FPGA is reprogrammed again.
Requirement for success: Execution time on FPGA including loading time must be faster than current GPUs and use less power.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

ChristianVirtual wrote:Still there is https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_(computer); based on custom ASICs. but agree: that's expensive and beyond our scope (how many PPD that monster would bring?)
This has already be mentioned in another topic : viewtopic.php?p=274342#p274342

toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

toTOW wrote:
ChristianVirtual wrote:Still there is https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_(computer); based on custom ASICs. but agree: that's expensive and beyond our scope (how many PPD that monster would bring?)
This has already be mentioned in another topic : viewtopic.php?p=274342#p274342
foldy> not a bad idea ... but try to get a board for general public, it will be hard (usually sold by manufacturer to industrial customers) and expensive (since you won't buy many chips at once) :(

It's so easier to stick to GPUs :D

7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
tnaa97

Post by tnaa97 »

Question from a newbie non programmer.

Could F@H create a SHA 256 Coin for some of the diseases? if so we could "Recycle" some of our older ASICs like Antminer S3?

Apologies if there is really no way.

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful time.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

tnaa97 wrote:Question from a newbie non programmer.

Could F@H create a SHA 256 Coin for some of the diseases? if so we could "Recycle" some of our older ASICs like Antminer S3?

Apologies if there is really no way.

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful time.
There really is no way the Pande Group and the F@H consortium could get into creating or working on alt-currency. It would probably be considered misuse of grants and other funds provided to them for research. As it is they have limited funds that they can use from those grants on programming.

Unfortunately, as mentioned here and elsewhere, the type of computations made by ASIC's are not suitable for folding itself.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Xavierthe15

Post by Xavierthe15 »

In response to the one that asked about there being an altcoin associated with FaH, look up CureCoin. It replaces your typical blockchains with the folding process and compensates you based on PPD. It's worth a look.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Xavierthe15 wrote:In response to the one that asked about there being an altcoin associated with FaH, look up CureCoin. It replaces your typical blockchains with the folding process and compensates you based on PPD. It's worth a look.
Actually no, Curecoin is not associated with F@h, nor is any other alt-coin. "Associated" implies an official connection or recognition, there is none. What these alt-coins are is connected with specific groups or teams rewarding folders. The only acknowledgement by the project is that they are team rewards similar to other rewards given by some other teams or organizations.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

The basic question asked by this topic has been answereed: ASICs can accelerate traditional hashing problems like SHA-256 and Scrypt but designing a reprogrammable device that can solve FAH's problems is (apparently) prohibitively expensive. FAH is specifically desinged to run on supported GPUs or CPUs and it's unlikely that will ever change.

Alt-coin organizations are free to recognize FAH's points if they so choose.

I'm closing this topic.