Hospital labs & FAH

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Ricorocks

Hospital labs & FAH

Post by Ricorocks »

Off campus FAH affiliates 'labs' such as at 'Sloan-Kettering" (I think) Mayo clinic, work with the Dr Pande's group. Would the off campus submit a core to FAH, which would then be run on donors machine(s)? Is it a few or many off campus affiliates? Is there a protocol for participation, or is it Stanford alum, running projects off campus. Do most cores from on campus or off? I understand this may be difficult questions, for the forum.

Thanks
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Hospital labs & FAH

Post by 7im »

Affiliates submit Projects, not cores. They load their simulations (Projects with 1000s of work units) to work servers within the FAH server network. Assignment servers at Stanford direct matching clients to those local or remotely located work servers. A few, or more better called several affiliates. Some are Alums, some are not, IIRC. Can't say if more come from Stanford, or other locations, it likely varies over time. Organizational knowledge is not difficult for several donors here.

I don't know the details of how to join FAH's affiliate program. Alum obviously, but non-alum can also. That one may be better answered on Reddit as well.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

Thanks 7im!
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

No prob. A quick review of the labs listed https://folding.stanford.edu/home/about-us/ does make it seem like they are mostly FAH alumni. But any institution at that level doing similar research would likely be welcomed. Any institutional reps reading this are more than welcome to contact Dr. Pande about joining the Folding@home Consortium. 8-)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

You asked about "cores" (workhorse software that does the bulk of the work). All software (including cores) is developed by a very small group of folks with some kind of contractual arrangement with FAH. (They're very carefully screened, as you might expect.) ALL software must pass rigorous testing before it can be distributed, and released software is distributed by Stanford. Your EULA agreement prohibits the redistribution of software or obtaining software from other sources.

They're extremely careful about the possibility of malware somehow inserting itself into the processing stream.
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

Hi Bruce,
Wrong use of words by me, affiliates submit "projects to", which potentially could become a WU, I'm working on, carefully screened by Stanford.

What I was curious about is how many 'off campus' labs participate with FAH (many/few), as Ive seen or read about this avenue of participation. And the interaction btwn the two. Can or do, private companies participate with FAH in cores/projects for research? Silly question I'm sure they're restricted.

FYI - I found the make a cash contribution to FAH (from Twitter), being born & raised in Ca, It was very nice chatting, with the lady & donating cash!

Take Care
Rick

FYI - I'm still in my rookie year, & asking silly rookie questions.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

If you go to the About link on the folding site, a brief description the FAH Consortium members is included. The link to the page for just the FAHC on the new version of the folding site is https://foldingathome.stanford.edu/abou ... onsortium/.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

Thank Joe!
bruce

Post by bruce »

Ricorocks wrote:Can or do, private companies participate with FAH in cores/projects for research? Silly question I'm sure they're restricted.

FYI - I'm still in my rookie year, & asking silly rookie questions.
No question is silly if you don't know the answer.

I don't know about restrictions on private companies. Nobody has ever asked that question before.

I don't suppose private companies would be willing to agree to release all of their findings to their competitors. AFAIK, the research grants which provide funding for FAH require the results to be placed in the public domain which is the opposite of any kind of trade secret.
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

Agree! But to think about the answer while hitting sending, can feel silly. Seems Stanford could jeopardize Grant money, if colluding with companies. This would seem to unfair monetary advantage! Why I said silly. Stanford/FAH does interact with companies, in charitable relationship, companies give to Stanford/FAH, such as Dell, Nvidia etc.

"I don't suppose private companies would be willing to agree to release all of their findings to their competitors. AFAIK" NOT the q asked this thread. Proprietary, which includes 'knowledge' gained from 'public domain' is fiercely protected/defended, by law & (patent(s)). Likewise FAH & Stanford could be in jeopardy, of losing 'grant' monies, if perceived to be in cahoots with, private companies.

The question was/is from post #1 (OP), & has expanded just a tad.

UPdate - As a born & bred Ca guy, who's spent many memorable, days in Long Beach, & sharing 'university's' (CSULB & CSULA), Ive had fond discussions with Dr. Sorin.

Evokes warm & tingly, renewed commitment to FAH/humanize

Take Care Amigo
Rico
bruce

Post by bruce »

Ricorocks wrote:As a born & bred Ca guy, who's spent many memorable, days in Long Beach, & sharing 'university's' (CSULB & CSULA), Ive had fond discussions with Dr. Sorin.

Evokes warm & tingly, renewed commitment to FAH/humanize

Take Care Amigo
Rico
Say hi to him from me. I've known him a long time but only face-to-face very briefly.

I'm about 20 mi. ESE of CSULB
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

Hi Rick,

Yes, I’m a Stanford alum … Vijay was my PhD advisor and I was one of his first few grad students and PhD graduates there, which was about 10 years ago, so we’re not really “friends” as much as colleagues. You can find a list of our peer-reviewed publications at http://folding.cnsm.csulb.edu/publications.php, which will be growing more this year. We haven’t had our F@H servers running for the last few years, but you’ll be seeing jobs from our lab in the near future … just have to finish getting our servers running and do some local testing. You are correct about mRNA interacting with the ribosome, and our lab’s new NAR paper you mentioned below discusses the structural biology of those interactions in viral RNA we’re studying ;o)

Cheers,

Eric

Eric J. Sorin, Ph.D.

Associate Professor

Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry

California State University, Long Beach

eric.sorin@csulb.edu

http://www.csulb.edu/sorinlab

Sent: Friday, February 03, 2017 1:47 PM
To: Eric Sorin
Subject: Follow Up

Hi Dr. Sorin,

Mentioned you at the forum (FAH), Bruce Borden says Hi!

1. Are you an alum of Stanford?

2. Are you friends with Vijay Pande?

3. Can you mention one or two journals name(s), where you & your teams papers were accepted? Any out for peer review?

4. Has your teams efforts been part of a project donors, worked on, if so which project numbers. Last I looked I was doing proj. (9038)

5. This journal article "Nucleic Acids Research, 2017" mentions RNA, is that mRNA? Does RNA or mRNA fold, & would that make RNA a protein? Nucleic acid folding/protein folding are they the same same?

From ancient history CSULA cell biology, mRNA interacts with Ribosomes on rough Endoplasmic Reticlums. Did I remember that correctly?

Thanks, Take Care, & Have a Great Week End!
Rick Nash

Oh! Bruce also mentioned he's 20 miles or less from at Cal State Long Beach!