Bryostatin related research papers "might" acknowledge FaH?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: Bryostatin related research papers "might" acknowledge F

Post by bruce »

foldy wrote:You can google the paper title to get full text if it is published already for free. Which paper are you interested in?
There are a number of semi-official publications that publish scientific papers in specific fields. They make their money by selling subscriptions and/or selling copies of specific papers. Any reputable university library subscribes to the ones their students or professors might need for research. For any paper that cannot be found free, I'd call a nearby library and confirm that you can make a copy of a specific paper or simply read it in the library.

The publication's copyright expires after a while, so you can find free copies of older papers, too.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

bruce wrote:The publication's copyright expires after a while, so you can find free copies of older papers, too.
As a person who works in a library, just to clarify that a bit. The copyright does not expire, just the exclusive use of it by the publication.

For instance, under the rules for papers written based on research funded by the NSF and other government sources, a publication can embargo access to subscribers only for just a year. After that the paper must be made freely available. The main issue after that is access to databases that have such papers, usually available through libraries at research universities and some larger public libraries.

The copyright itself belongs to the author(s) unless assigned to someone else. The length is for 70 years after the death of the author, there are different rules for works for hire.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

Talking about database,
I doubt it'll be an easy job, plowing through the fah database, finding specific scenarios.
The volume of data that's been uploaded to fah just tripled the past year (in part thanks to the introduction of better GPUs).
On top of that, fah should have over a decade worth of processed data.

They'll need to device a program that will comb through the data.
A program to process the processes data.

Anyway, chances of someone finding a solution is small, since it takes a very specific scientist that can interpret the data.
jbgcpcert

Post by jbgcpcert »

@foldy lets try an easy one "Investigating Cryptic Binding Sites by Molecular Dynamics Simulations." this is the newest paper on that page and when you follow the link you end up at ncbi it does provide a full text link however that goes to some ACS publications that wants you to have an account. I myself have access to academic portals however the population at large does not. I believe this program does have the potential to benefit society in general however it appears that the data generated from crowd sourced contribution does not effectively trickle back down to those who helped with their resources. I am super new though so if someone has information contradictory to my perceptions here I would love to see it. Does folding@home care about donors or are they just using them to further their careers?
bruce

Post by bruce »

There are two types of scientific research studies.
* Proprietary studies financed by drug companies with the goal of earning money for the stockholders by producing a drug that is patented.
* Public Domain studies financed by (mostly) government grants or directly by public universities that produce peer-reviewed scientific papers containing information that can be used freely by other researchers.

FAH originated exclusively as the second type. Most of the actual research was performed by graduate students and published as their thesis. Credits go to the researchers who actually publish the paper, not to every computer that contributes or to the multitude of Donors who own those computers. I suspect that the list of names would exceed the word-count of the actual research discussion.

There's now a third type: A crowd funded consortium of scientists. The Covid Moonshot is an example of that and FAH contributes directly to that project.